Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is gonna sound weird...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyBradley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: This is gonna sound weird... Reply with quote

Was the LXF143 DVD left 'open'? I've managed to accidentally overwrite it, meaning that I can't do the reinstall I need!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't overwrite a DVD, they are pressed discs, not to be confused with DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs. so no, it was not left open, and iven if it were you would still be unable to write to it.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a faulty DVD drive / software. He might not be able to write to it, but I bet a malfunctioning laser could do some damage.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if his DVD drive was built with lasers cannibalised from the Death Star!

Do you really think it would be legal to sell a consumer device with a laser powerful enough to melt plastic? Shocked
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it is powerful enough to burn a disc. So if you took that same laser and fired it at a disc with data, surely it'd do something...

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light up the DVD unit, as the beam bounces around?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:
No, but it is powerful enough to burn a disc. So if you took that same laser and fired it at a disc with data, surely it'd do something...

It is powerful enough to burn the coating on a DVD-R, not melt the plastic of a pressed DVD-ROM. The only consumer grade electronic equipment capable of damaging a DVD-ROM is a microwave oven.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nelz"]
heiowge wrote:
The only consumer grade electronic equipment capable of damaging a DVD-ROM is a microwave oven.

I disagree, if I bash a DVD-ROM hard enough with my laptop I think I could do it some serious damage Twisted Evil - wouldn't do my laptop much good though Sad .
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! you fell into my trap, the damage there is done by the case, not the electronics Smile But I suppose you could do some serious damage by dragging the underside of a Raspberry Pi over it.

As I've discovered in the past, all you need to wreck a DVD is a jiffy bag and a stamp...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: