BBC iPlayer Downloads Application

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

BBC iPlayer Downloads Application

Postby Crispy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi all,

I have been trying to get the new BBC iPlayer Downloads to work on my desktop - running Linux Mint. There is no longer a version for Linux because of Adobe removing support for Linux. So the only option left to me was Wine. I am unable to watch them through the website because my connection has VERY bad bandwidth.

The program seems to install fine (I don't get any errors when installing it). My default linux browser is Chromium and clicking the link to the iplayer website in the iPlayer Downloads application launches Chromium and the website. However, when I click the link to download a TV program, I get an external protocol request dialog because Chromium doesn't know what application to use to handle the bbc-ipd protocol. The application Chromium uses to handle the protocol is xdg-open so I added a new entry using xdg-mime:

xdg-mime default bbc-iplayer-downloads.desktop x-scheme-handler/bbc-ipd

which correctly opens the iPlayer downloads application but nothing happens. Firefox in Linux doesn't recognise the bbc-ipd content type and so just gives an error.

I have tried installing Firefox in Wine but that doesn't work either because the protocol (bbc-ipd) still isn't recognised by Firefox (I'm assuming that if on a Windows machine, when iPlayer downloads is installed it adds the protocol to the list of known content types in firefox which hasn't been done because I've installed them using Wine).

I was just wondering whether anyone else has attempted to get the iPlayer downloads program working in Wine? Or if anyone had any suggestions on things I could try to get it to work?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Crispy

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:31 pm

You could use getiplayer. It's a command line program which is really easy to use. It downloads programmes as .mp4 which can be played through VLC, Mplayer etc.

It should be in the repos.

PP
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:16 pm

purplepenguin wrote:You could use getiplayer. It's a command line program which is really easy to use. It downloads programmes as .mp4 which can be played through VLC, Mplayer etc.

It should be in the repos.

PP
getiplayer is in the repos and can be installed
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install get-iplayer
and use https://github.com/jjl/get_iplayer/wiki/Documentation to get the commands to download your programs, best use a full screen terminal for that :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Crispy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure about get_iplayer. Unfortunately, due to bandwidth problems I need to be able to download the programs and I think the BBC uses DRM on most of it's downloadable content (if not all of it) which get_iplayer can't deal with.
Crispy

Postby towy71 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Crispy wrote:Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure about get_iplayer. Unfortunately, due to bandwidth problems I need to be able to download the programs and I think the BBC uses DRM on most of it's downloadable content (if not all of it) which get_iplayer can't deal with.
I wouldn't have pointed out this program if I hadn't used it fairly regularly and successfully :roll:
towy71

Postby towy71 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:45 pm

In fact every time one uses the program you get reminders to clear out what you have already downloaded
Code: Select all
These programmes should be deleted:
-----------------------------------
Panorama - Hillsborough - How They Buried the Truth, Recorded: 180 days 8 hours ago
-----------------------------------
Do you wish to delete them now (Yes/No) ?
towy71

Postby Crispy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Thank you for your replies. I have just installed get-iplayer and i'm giving it a go. It wouldn't download the program to start off with because I needed to add something for SWF verification which I found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2152221

I am now downloading the program. According to here:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/downloading/download_not_play

the BBC does implement DRM on it's downloadable content. According to the get_iplayer website:

get_iplayer does not circumvent any digital rights management security

and

The BBC do implement DRM on their Adobe Air downloadable files and therefore get_iplayer is not useful with those.

which is why I said I didn't think that get-iplayer would work. I am unsure of how get_iplayer actually works and tbh i'm not that comfortable with using it.
Crispy

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:02 pm

towy71 wrote:
Crispy wrote:Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure about get_iplayer. Unfortunately, due to bandwidth problems I need to be able to download the programs and I think the BBC uses DRM on most of it's downloadable content (if not all of it) which get_iplayer can't deal with.
I wouldn't have pointed out this program if I hadn't used it fairly regularly and successfully :roll:

Ditto.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby plrndl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 am

I use get-iplayer every day, and I've never had a problem with DRM. get-iplayer mimics an iPhone and uses iPhing-specific files, up to HD for TV material, and 320 kb/s aac audio for Radio 3. If you really can't hande a command line (wimp!:D), there is a browser front-end available.
plrndl

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 am

Or if you have an Android device of any sort, i-player download works fine.

get-iplayer gui

http://sourceforge.net/projects/giplaye ... rror=ignum
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

@wyliecoyoteuk

Postby plrndl » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks for the link to giplayer, I didn't know about that.

Unfortunately the android version of iPlayer doesn't download radio programs, which is what I would use it for.
plrndl

Return to Help!