Quantal Quetzal

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Quantal Quetzal

Postby northumbrian1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:10 pm

I don't like Ubuntu's latest offering: Quantal Quetzal, 12.04 was ok and wonder of wonders, Unity was a dream to use. So I went back to 12.04 LTS and loaded that on one of my laptops whilst loading Fuduntu (obtained from Linux Format) which is a fork of Fedora on my main laptop - it works beautifully and is as sweet as Raspberry Pi! QQ put up some advertising on its HUD that I didn't like - and it didn't work as well either online or off-line on one of my Desktop machines, so I went back to the previous 12.04 LTS. Right now I'm using LinuxMint 14.1 (which incidentally is based on Quantal Quetzal (Ubuntu)) 12.10 and it doesn't do anything like the crap I was getting under Ubuntu - which says a lot more for Clem and LinuxMint than Ubuntu...I still love Linux Format though - even after subscribing from Edition 96 onwards...looking forward to the next one around Xmas/Yule/Winter Solstice time...!
northumbrian1

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I must agree, having tried it for a week, it is just way too unstable.
Rolled back to 12.04 last night, took me about an hour, (separate /home), but was quite painless.

Which made me think. how many windows users wish that they could do that?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby northumbrian1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Lol the coolness between the Asterisks is more refreshing than Ubuntu 12.10! :D Enjoy life over Xmas in Brum! Long ago when I was young, I woke up astride the Bull in the Bullring - it took me the best part of half a day to get down again. Laughed so much over that incident...
northumbrian1

Postby northumbrian1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Incidentally, I'm still using Precise Pangolin - though I've tried the Ringtail and Fuduntu has gone now. Time passes and I'm seventy-two tomorow . Yup, I guess I'm a real Silver-Surfer now! It's good to see that Mike Sanders is back in the saddle putting out articles again, though I'm sorry to see Graham Morrison depart for pastures new. I wish him well on his new venture.
northumbrian1

Return to Discussion