Raspberry Pi: The Complete Guide - Download Link

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Raspberry Pi: The Complete Guide - Download Link

Postby anddav87 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Is it just me or does this link not work??

www.linuxformat.com/files/rpi2013.zip

Please hurry and sort this

Thanks

Andy
anddav87

Postby Fíona » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 pm

"Page not found"

where did you find the link?
Fíona

Postby johnhudson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:25 pm

johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby SiriusHardware » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm

If you are after a paper version there are about half a dozen on the magazine shelves at my Local ASDA (and presumably everyone else's) right now (April 2013). It looks well produced but may or may not include re-runs of or updated versions of articles which have already appeared in the mainstream Linux Format magazine (as well as other material that I have not seen before). I didn't buy it because I felt that it was about 4-5 pounds overpriced, but you can make you own judgement about that when you see it of course.

I wouldn't mind seeing a real 'Raspberry Pi Format' launched, perhaps as a quarterly to start with.
SiriusHardware

Postby SiriusHardware » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:41 pm

In ASDA a few days ago (October 2013) I noticed a new LXF bookazine with a new title: "Raspberry Pi: The Essential Manual".

As soon as I opened it it dawned on me that it looked awfully familiar: It is a straight reprint of 'Raspberry Pi - The Complete Guide' with a very slightly different title.

What's the rationale behind this?

There will be a few people at least who will pick it up thinking it's something they (or an interested relative) don't already have, a costly mistake to make.

I can't believe that sort of misunderstanding is something that LXF would deliberately foster or be proud of?
Last edited by SiriusHardware on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiriusHardware

Postby lok1950 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 pm

It may be that the bean counters are in full control as in most large orgs to them it's just non monetized content that has to pay for itself.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Raspberry Pi guide

Postby Morrissey's Cat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:09 pm

This does feel like something that bean counters would do; as the words have already been written, it's practically free for them to reprint it. Pretty shitty for the customers, but I guess the suits don't care.
I wonder if this is the sort of thing that drove Ben, Graham and Andrew to quit? I always got the impression that they were proper Linux people rather than just hired monkeys.
There's always someone, somewhere, with a big nose, who knows
Morrissey's Cat

Postby Fíona » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Are you serious? are Andrew, Ben and Graham leaving Linuxformat?

This is bad news, now I'm going to have to seriously consider if I'm going to renew my 2 year subscription next year.
Fíona

Postby SiriusHardware » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 am

Fíona wrote:Are you serious? are Andrew, Ben and Graham leaving Linuxformat?

?? Did I miss something? I've just been reading the current issue of LXF over the past few days and I don't recall seeing any announcement to that effect in the magazine itself.

Incidentally, I misquoted the altered title of the 'new' publication - it is in fact 'Raspbery Pi - The Essential Manual', but it is still exactly the same bookazine which was originally published under the title 'Raspberry Pi-The Complete Guide'.
SiriusHardware

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 am

SiriusHardware wrote:
Fíona wrote:Are you serious? are Andrew, Ben and Graham leaving Linuxformat?

?? Did I miss something? I've just been reading the current issue of LXF over the past few days and I don't recall seeing any announcement to that effect in the magazine itself.

Listen to the latest podcast.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Fíona » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 am

Rhakios, thanks for your reply but I am very disappointed to discover that 3 valuable contributors to LXF have left the magazine.
Fíona

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs