Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory not cleared by BIOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyLuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Memory not cleared by BIOS Reply with quote

I have a Dell Lap-Top (Inspiron 1721) running Sabayon 13.08 Gnome. I tried various Linux distributions before settling on Sabayon. I simply installed the system as recommended - no fiddling. Did not bother to retain the pre-existing Vista.

When I boot the system and come to the first log-in window my screen is broken into three or four triangles and the user-name and log-in space are hard to see. Prior to the log-in window the GRUB2 window and the Sabayon footprint and progrees bar appear fine.

During the boot process I get an error report which does not stay on the screen long enough to read but I believe it says (among other things) something like:

[........] memory not cleared by BIOS [...] clearing now

this line is displayed twice with a reference to CPU 0 and once with reference to CPU 1.

I have googled a bit without much luck. The manufacturers on-line assistance assumes I have explorer. So I could use some help with this at this point.

Obviously I assume that the problems reported in start-up result in the broken log in window but I may be wrong. I should mention that when I boot from DVD-image i have no problems.

Cheers
LL
LadyLuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Memory not cleared by BIOS Reply with quote

I should add the error messages include the words
"Firmware warning"
and
MMTR

(i think)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get back to the consle, login and review the kernel messages with

Code:
dmesg | less

I doubt the message you saw is the cause as it was a waring, not an error. You can also see any errors from the X server with

Code:
grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

LadyLuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nelz. Now I have the complete Fimrware warnings and another warning I had not noticed flashing on the screen.

[ 0.000000] [Firmware Warn]: MTRR: CPU 0: SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn] not cleared by BIOS, clearing this bit

[ 0.000000] ACPI BIOS Bug: Warning: Optional FADT field Pm2ControlBlock has zero address or length: 0x0000000000000000/0x1 (20130328/tbfadt-603)

[ 0.020000] [Firmware Warn]: MTRR: CPU 0: SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn] not cleared by BIOS, clearing this bit

[ 0.090418] [Firmware Warn]: MTRR: CPU 1: SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn] not cleared by BIOS, clearing this bit

So now I'm looking for causes and solutions to these warnings and finding a lot of material pointing in various directions.

I welcome any suggestions in the meantime.

Cheers
LL
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt these are the cause of the graphics problem, but you could try adding nomttr to the kernel options at boot time. A lot of people see similar warnings, including on a couple of my systems, with no ill effects.

The X log is a more likely indicator of the true problem.
LadyLuck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again nelz. You were quite right. The following error is recorded in the Xorg log:

Quote:
[ 32.463] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)

This error has been discussed in a number of threads related to various distributions such as:
Gentoo: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-957128-start-0.html
Arch: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150817
Fedora: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=283534

The solutions seems to be "dowgrading" a number of packages to older versions (see Arch thread).

These threads are from the last 14 months (the latest one from august 2013) and so I gather one is looking at a backward compatibility issue that will not be resolved. So either I downgrade or live with the flickering log-in screen.

I think I will "grin and bear it."

Thanx
LL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: