apt-get upgrade

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

apt-get upgrade

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 am

Before I get meself into more probs, I am using Mint 15 64bit and wish to install Mint 14 64bit and then perform the subject upgrade to Mint 15, but without all the additional screens.

Will it simply perform the task or download an ISO file, which I will have to blast to a cd?

Many thanks for advice

David

Semper in Excretam...
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:55 am

I don't really understand what you're trying to do, but in any case apt-get works at package level. It will never download an ISO.

If you want to install Mint 14 and then upgrade it to Mint 15, you could edit /etc/apt/sources.list after installing Mint 14, to point it at the Mint 15 repos, and then do apt-get update, followed by apt-get upgrade. But it's a cack-handed way to do the job.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

apt-get upgrade

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Roseway, thank you for your swift reply.
I am trying to change from Nelz´s instructive mega-mix of Mint 15 to the bog-standard 15 64bit Cinnamon.
Cinnamon presently runs as slowly as treacle, and I suspect the overhead of the extra load of the different GUIs is setting my ageing system too much of a challenge.
Best regards

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:15 pm

But the other GUIs don't do anything (except take up disk space) unless you use them. I suspect Cinnamon isn't all that friendly for older systems. I switched my Nettop to XFCE after finding Cinnamon too slow (it's still installed, I just don't use it).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

apt-get upgrade

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Rhakios, thank you for your insight. I did wonder meself, but then, at my age I do a lot of that....

Best

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

apt-get upgrade

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 am

Thinking some, (there´s posh!), I have used Cinnamon 32-bit for almost 2 years, and it is only recently that I switched to 64 bit. I am minded to install Mint 14 32 with Cinnamon and see how it goes.

Any observations?

Best

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:23 am

Before you install another distro, take a look at your graphics card drivers. Cinnamon uses 3D acceleration so if you don't have the right drivers it will be slow.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

apt-get upgrade

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Nelz, many thanks for your overview.

Driver Manager reports:

nVidia Corp: G98 (GeForce 8400 GS Rev 2
Driver is nVidia - 310 - recommended

At the bottom ¨(1 proprietary driver in use).

So all seems well there, and the system sees the correct screen type and resolution.

I seem to recall reading somewhere of a possible 64-bit performance hit and wonder if 64-bit is just over the safe limit for my ageing kit? Should I revert to 32-bit?

I would much value your advice in this matter.

Best rgards

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Return to Help!