Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silverlight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichAustin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Silverlight Reply with quote

Hi

I would love to get rid totally of Windows, but there is always something that won't work. For ages it was GotoMyPC - I have to use it for work. I finally figured how to use Firefox + User Agent add-in + Wine and it works brilliantly (not so good in XUbuntu or Gnome Ubuntu strangely).

Then, a few weeks ago, I got Sky TV. I found Sky don't support Linux because they use Silverlight. Even Microsoft have given up on Silverlight so I've read!

I've tried various things but can't get it to work. Has anyone successfully made Silverlight work on Linux? It's maddening because it's now the only thing I use Windows for!

Thanks
Richard
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of buying a Sky box for your TV set? Razz

More seriously, you could try Pipelight or Moonlight.
RichAustin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Have you thought of buying a Sky box for your TV set? Razz

More seriously, you could try Pipelight or Moonlight.

I have a Sky box for the TV - I also have a wife and daughter who hate any sort of sport! Therefore, Sky + Wife + Daughter = Watch Sport on the PC!

Pipelight looks a good option, and it works with Netflix, I'll give it a go. Moonlight was abandoned a few years ago unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions!
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on. I'm interested in the results (as I'm sure others will be).
RichAustin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Silverlight - Netflix and Sky on Linux Reply with quote

ferrari wrote:
Let us know how you get on. I'm interested in the results (as I'm sure others will be).

Eureka! I finally got it to work! I'm not entirely sure what combination of things made it work but it does. This is roughly what I did (in Ubuntu 12.04 with Wine installed):

EDIT NOTES: I just discovered that this actually works for Netflix as well as Sky.

1. Linux Firefox - installed User Agent Overrider 0.21 (website is https://github.com/muzuiget/user_agent_overrider). I tried installing Pipelight but I don't think it worked properly anyway. I then set the User Agent to "Firefox 22/Windows".

2. Wine: Installed Firefox for Windows. Then from this I downloaded and installed Silverlight. It took quite a bit of messing around but it did finally installed - I think that was largely due to me not being very familiar with Wine.

NOTE: I couldn't actually get Sky to work in the Windows version. I'm running Sky through the Linux version of Firefox, so it may not be necessary to install Firefox but I definitely think you need Silverlight.

3. I tried to install Flash in Windows Firefox but it wouldn't install. I thought of this because Sky appears to use an odd mix of Flash and Silverlight. I do have Flash installed in Linux Firefox though.

4. Finally I got to a point where Sky was telling me that the Device I was using was not registered for use. I deleted my Windows device, then tried to play Sky Sports and Sky registered my Linux device. Sky Sports then played perfectly!

5. My localhost reports a name of G72 (same as in Windows). However, Sky registered "richardaustin19-PC" as the name! I have no idea where this is set. It doesn't seem to be in Wine. The Wine computer name is set here: Run Wine Regedit from command line and search for ComputerName. I renamed the device to G72 and tried again and Sky Sports still worked okay.

I really hope this helps someone else because I found it really maddening to get it to work but ultimately worth it! Sorry I can't be absolutely accurate about how I got it to work but I did so much messing about that I'm really not sure which steps are crucial and which were a waste of time.

Richard
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Silverlight Reply with quote

Hi Rich
I use Firefox and can access Sky from Spain.
I have no idea why it works, it just does.
Mint 15 -64bit,

Best regards

David
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: