replacing a laptop monitor the sort of easy way

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

replacing a laptop monitor the sort of easy way

Postby heiowge » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:42 am

My wife broke my daughter's netbook screen. A £70 repair bill is just too steep, so I spent a tenner and got an old 4:3 acer screen from cash converters.

Problems are few but niggly.

When I boot up, the netbook gets black bars on the cracked screen to reshape it to match the monitor. The monitor gets a crappy 800x600 to match the netbook.

If I try and separate the monitors, I get no aspect ratio on the external screen that works. It is always too big to fit.

If I use ctrl+f8 to switch between outputs, I get the external with a good ratio. Sometimes. Most times it hangs on a black screen with a mouse pointer and nothing else. This seems to go after a wait. Sometimes 30 seconds, but I left it 10 mins yesterday at one point without change.

Can I set it so it uses the external only at boot? Can I get rid of this lag time? A 10 year old with Aspergers won't wait. :(

It's an eeepc 904HA, 2 GM RAM and runs Mint 14 MATE.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Re: replacing a laptop monitor the sort of easy way

Postby RichAustin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:19 am

I don't use Mint so I'm not sure if there is an equivalent of Gnome with Ubuntu "Displays" option which I use to disable / enable my laptop screen.

However, what I have used in the past and know definitely works well is ARandR - install it with:

sudo apt-get install arandr

It gives you a graphical front end for XRandR and allows you to switch on and off different screens. You can also set the resolution for each screen (right click on the graphic of the screen and select Resolution.

A really cool thing with ARandR is that you can Save / Load a script which stores the settings. You can then autostart this when you login.

As far as I know it's not possible to disable the laptop screen completely at boot but once the system is running the script from ARandR will turn the laptop screen off.

Hope this helps
Richard
RichAustin

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks, I'll try that when she goes out later. :D
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Help!