dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu

Postby justmeg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:28 pm

[b] Hello all. Im new to this forum and Linux.
The laptop belongs to my daughter and she wants me to install Ubuntu on to it alongside Win 8.
I have done several dual boots successfully, but NOT with Win. 8 The laptop is a Fujitsu with 500GB HDD with Win 8 pre-installed. I have set the bios to:
Fast Boot disabled : CSM Enabled : Secure Boot Disabled.
DVD/CD 1st boot. Its an EFI Bios

In this mode it boots up ok from live DVD and also into win 8 I cant find how to send attachements on this forum so i will list the existing boot details.

1GB recovery partition : 1GB EFI system partition :
75GB Windows (C) inc. boot, page,crash, primary NTFS
373GB Windows (D) Drivers NTFS primary.

The free disk space on windows (C) is 28GB
The free disk space on windows (D) is 358GB
The 15 used GB on (D) is data and I intend to use 50GB of the remaining free space on (D) for Ubuntu.

I have spent weeks researching but I found many of the tutorials and advice to conflict.
Please could anyone give any help or advice before I start this installation. I understand that although I have set the bios to legacy it still may need to be booted in EFI and I havent a clue how to do this. Thanks
new to linux and need loads of help please. thanks M
justmeg

Sorry forgot to say

Postby justmeg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:22 pm

There is another partition on the 500GB hdd Its 15GB recovery partition. So the pre-installed win 8 came with a 500GB HDD with 5 partitions. (windows wisdom)

I will be using a Ubuntu 13.04 linux secure ISO and I have also created the latest boot repair disk. and backed up the PC.

The best instructions I have found for accomplishing this task was in this forum dated Feb 2013 with GregS Fiona and Nelz.

So I subscribed to the mag and joined the forum.

I am very apprehensive about doing this dual boot, especially as its not my laptop. Im the other side of 70, only been using Linux for 6 months, and this is the first time I have even seen windose 8. Just turning it on gives me a headache.

Anyway, hoping your guidance will prevent me having to buy our girl a new laptop. thanks

[/code][/b]
justmeg

Postby ajgreeny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:29 pm

There is a lot of info at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI about this as well as most of the problems associated with UEFI and dual or single boot systems.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby justmeg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes as you said a lot of information. Some of it im afraid beyond me at this moment. The good news is I can keep it open on my desktop pc while im installing and refer to it in relation to what appears on the screen during the install.

its often quite difficult to absorb lots of info unless you are relating it to actual steps on a particular task.

I am familiar with some of it so I guess its forward but one step at a time.

The laptop is circa Nov. 2012 with an efi boot, which, if I am understanding correctly is different from Uefi.
I hope to record each step for future reference and also to have instructions in newbie format.

Thanks again for your link. I will keep you posted. Cheers
justmeg

Return to Help!