Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Predict future disk space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Predict future disk space Reply with quote

There was an article a while back that mentioned a script to predict future disk space based on current usage rates. It also gave an estimated date when the disk would be full.

Any idea what it's called?

Cheers,

Nathan.
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Predict future disk space Reply with quote

Nathan Friend wrote:
There was an article a while back that mentioned a script to predict future disk space based on current usage rates. It also gave an estimated date when the disk would be full.

I don't remember such an article, and I would have thought it almost hopeless to attempt such a prediction. Eg, recently I noticed an mpg file which was a demo of a long FPS game, taking several Gb. I had downloaded it a couple of years ago and forgotten it. I now deleted it. How could a script predict things like that? Might work if you did nothing but steadily write one-page articles for a weekly periodical.

Personally, I have never filled a disk. While, like everyone else, I have had ever larger disks over the years, they have always kept ahead of me. Perhaps because I trawl through them occasionally and delete stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: