Over the edge

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Over the edge

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:09 pm

So, anyone else up for an Ubuntu Edge phone? A mere $30 meeellion to raise, with nearly $5 miilion (at time of writing) after one day.
I think my bank account is bled white now, I'm going to be living on bread and water for the rest of the year. :(
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby PLan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 am

This phone is such a great idea Shuttleworth apparently can't raise the money from normal investors, $32 million is peanuts.

Going slightly off-topic ... I am sick and tired of the leaders of companies displaying their acting abilities trying to flog me some of their latest junk. It seems where Apple/Jobs led every other Tom, Dick, and Harriet wants to follow. :roll:
PLan

Postby guy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:30 am

"We’ll choose the fastest available multi-core processor" - a desktop power hog running off a phone battery? Really? I hope it's not too hot to handle (literally!). Remember those half-an-hour-if-you're-lucky laptops and the add-on heatsinks needed when actually doing anything? Maybe that's why they are peddling the idea as a technology demonstrator and development tool and not as a commercially viable consumer product.

Hey, I have a better idea. Stick that s***-hot energy gobbler in the monitor housing and use your smartphone as a keyboard/mouse replacement. Maybe I could call it a, aah... Smart TV. In fact, many a "monitor" already has one.

Or am I missing something?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:51 pm

So, that's two nos then. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

I'm in!

Postby mediamgl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, I committed, and I am sharing the referral URL wherever I can! :D

The campaign is sitting at USD 6.6 million at the time of this posting.
mediamgl

Re: I'm in!

Postby PLan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 pm

mediamgl wrote:The campaign is sitting at USD 6.6 million at the time of this posting.

Given the rate of increase over the last four days(current total $7.4 million) looks like this will end in failure barring a miracle. I really think, if Ubuntu had real confidence in their product, they should have been able to go to more traditional sources for funds.
PLan

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 am

But it isn't a traditional product.
Investors finance a product based on a return with profit.
This is people pledging to buy a limited edition product, with the company only looking to break even on the production run.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Discussion