Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Mint 14 missing mouse clicks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Linux Mint 14 missing mouse clicks? Reply with quote

Hello all,
Installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon-64 bit (lxf167) yesterday and I'm starting to notice some missed clicks. When switching between windows, its very hard to get the focus shifted from the inactive window. For example if I highlight and ctrl-c some code snippet in Firefox then alt-tab to terminal, it frequently will be un-clickable when it comes to the front, and I'll have to tab away and back once or twice to be able to click anything. (Such as finally being able to right click and tell it to paste.)

It's a Saitek Cyborg rat3 mouse (usb) which, frankly, I'd hate to give up. Works fine on WinXP and the other Bootables from lxf.

Any hunches?
Nox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed my post had plenty of views but no replies, since I'm new on these forums I wonder if I asked for help properly? (or if its just a real stumper)

It's still frustratingly difficult to tab between things, or even just open the browser (for example,) and be able to click. I can click on the Firefox launcher in the task bar but once its open I have to alt+tab to be able to click on it. This is the simplest and most predictable click it will miss/ignore.

Are there any log files I can check or post that would be helpful?

I have Google-ed away for Linux mint and mouse issues, but while I do find others having mouse issues nothing sounds similar. (honestly I could just be missing some obvious connection between my problem and someone else's, but being fairly new to Linux how would I know?)

In short, I'm just re-stating my question and checking to make sure I'm doing my due diligence on this end before I have to jump to a different Linux flavor just to fix this.
Nox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

Tried something I should have thought of long ago... swapped mice. A generic mouse works 100%.

Which seems to indicate that my mouse and mint don't get along. (insert devastated smiley here)

Re-googled and after a few dozen re-wordings and a hint from a friend that Mint is close enough to Ubuntu, I've been working through this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/92546/problem-with-cyborg-r-a-t-3-gaming-mouse

Editing Xorg,conf is deeper into to the Linux pool than I usually go, but I love my mouse...

Last edited by Nox on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Mint 14 missing mouse clicks? Reply with quote

[quote="Nox"]Hello all,
Installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon-64 bit (lxf167) yesterday and I'm starting to notice some missed clicks.

good choice; isn't Linux Mint 15 out know? 64 bit Cinnamon is the won to go for. I run Ubuntu, mainly cos the servers are shit hot fast 16.6Mbps 24/7 when doing updates. Gnome 3.6 desquetop Realtime Kernel for zero latency; instant sound response...... and all the video / photo / music ****..

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After attempting the previously linked fix to no effect, I have a "throwing-darts-in-the-dark" hunch. I think my Xorg.conf has multiple entries regarding mouse hardware.

Heres the entry that makes me wonder:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Does this need deletion/editing? Xinput tells me my mouse id is 8, which doesn't match this, but the link I've been following mentions nothing of altering other sections than the one it says to add.

Also of note I had to switch mice to even be able to open gedit while Firefox was up, or it would toss an error. I'll caveman copy/paste (pencil&paper) that error here tomorrow.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This all seems so weird - the OS works fine with other mice, the mouse works fine with other OS.

Does your mouse have some magic feature not available to mere mortal mice? Possibly with a Windows (TM) driver CD alongside?
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help:
http://techspheria.com/2011/02/how-to-fix-saitek-cyborg-rat-series-mice-in-ubuntu/
Nox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy: nope no driver cd, however it says right on the box designed for win xp 64... honestly not that I know the specific difference is or if its just a straw man issue to make win users feel warm and fuzzy

PCNetSpec: I'll try that one soon have to wait on printouts since I need the rat3 plugged in to see the correct xinput stuff, and that makes tabbing between Firefox and the terminal a very large pain!

As promised from yesterday the error it throws (while Firefox is open) when trying to do this:

Code:

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Is titled:
Quote:

could not grab your mouse

It then goes on saying its either a malicious network member spying on me or that some app just won't give up the window focus. Given it doesn't happen when I change mice, it's either the most fortuitously timed repeat attack ever... or just as it seems, the mouse.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: