Readynas os partition full

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Readynas os partition full

Postby pk_fox » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 am

Hi there, I'm trying to update the firmware on my Readynas and keep receiving an error that the upgrade file has an invalid checksum, on Googling, this is down to the system partition being full - using df it indeed reports /dev/md0 as 100% used, my question is, how do I free some space up ? I have backups but can really do without wiping and restoring. Any ideas ?

Edit

All sorted it was my backup - my external HDD wasn't mounted where it should be so my backup somehow wrote to the system partition until it was full up, Deleted the backup and all is fine.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 am

Your backup program wrote to the mount point. As the drive wasn't mounted, this was in the root filesystem. Are you using a script to run your backups? If so, have it check that the backup device is mounted before it proceeds. Something like

Code: Select all
mount | grep -q /mnt/backup || exit 1
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pk_fox » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 pm

nelz wrote:Your backup program wrote to the mount point. As the drive wasn't mounted, this was in the root filesystem. Are you using a script to run your backups? If so, have it check that the backup device is mounted before it proceeds. Something like

Code: Select all
mount | grep -q /mnt/backup || exit 1

Hi Nelz, that's exactly what happened, thanks for the tip.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Return to Help!