This could be good news for Ubuntu users.

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

This could be good news for Ubuntu users.

Postby catgate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 am

.......Still, the Seattle behemoth, now under the stewardship of chief executive Steve Ballmer, doggedly marched forward with its “software is king” mantra. It made some belated efforts to catch up, wheeling out the Surface tablet and launching a tie-up with Nokia to produce Windows-based mobiles. But its core focus remained on software. Its last great bet was on Windows 8, a radical reinvention of its iconic operating system, designed to allow people to flip easily between tablets and PCs.

It was a disaster, both in the timing and the execution. Microsoft had started courting a tablet audience too late, and simultaneously alienated its longstanding customers who were still wedded to the old Windows style

On Thursday, however, as Mr Ballmer revealed a major shake-up of the company, it became clear that its dogged faith in software had finally been shaken..... .

Does this mean that all the confusing bunting and frollicks that has ruined Ubuntu in the last couple of years will now be slung out in favour of a more rational user friendly set up as last seen in 10.Lucid.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 am

Why? There are already plenty of distros that don't use Unity etc, do we need another?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby catgate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:26 pm

nelz wrote:Why? There are already plenty of distros that don't use Unity etc, do we need another?

Well you have a point there.
I looked at several, including SUSE, Slackware, Red Hat and Fedora before launching myself at Ubuntu 6.06.
The transition from 6.* to 12* seems to be analogous to buying a Mercedes and having it gradually upgraded to a Ford.
But then what do I know, I was raised on Sinclair ZX81 and a black and white TV, followed by Mr Sugars first born ...and anything is better than that.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Since writing the above I have just seen Ubuntu: Has it lost it? below.
Sorry about that. I seem to be treading a well worn path.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Before LXF Towers gets deluged in solicitor's letters, let's credit the original quote to an article in the Daily Telegraph

This is a management reorg, not a product facelift. I suspect that we Ubuntu avoiders can sleep soundly for a while yet - unless Mark S. is so dazzled by the MS (TM) proprietary business model that he feels an unstoppable rising urge for a similar reorg. Oh for a satirical TV show and a webcam. ;)
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 pm

guy wrote:Before LXF Towers gets deluged in solicitor's letters, let's credit the original quote to an article in the Daily Telegraph

That's a good idea! :D
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Discussion