Printing annoyance

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Printing annoyance

Postby guy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm

I send the wrong job to the printer. It's a long one, so I disconnect the printer from the network, clear the print job on my PC, power off the printer, power it back up and reconnect the printer. Nothing will now print.

system-config-printer (the CUPS config GUI) reports that the printer is "idle - Processing page 9...". Shutdown/restarting the PC clears the fault.

Is it CUPS or the printer driver that is confused, and how do I clear the thing without rebooting?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm inclined to think it's CUPS. On the few occasions I have had to do anything similar (with a USB printer, not over a network), then I've stopped the job in CUPS (web interface) and removed it from the queue after switching off the printer.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Except, the job has visibly been removed from the queue but it still shows in the CUPS web interface of active jobs - as "cancelled". How can I flush the job list? (and how can a job be both active and cancelled? No, don't answer that one, my head makes a mess when it explodes.)
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby guy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Aha, success! Go to the printer's admin page, set to reject jobs then set to accept jobs again. This clears the status bug.

Thanks for the pointer.
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 pm

You read my mind, probably...

;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 pm

You can also fix this from the command line by running cupsdisable followed by cupsenable.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!