Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What colour laser?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
salan3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: What colour laser? Reply with quote

All,
I have finally removed Windows form all but one pc at home (wife still will not move over lol).
We have a Dell 1320cn printer that works well with my (mainly Unbuntu) machines.
But there are some good deals on 'All in one' colour lasers, but which will work with 64 bit Linux?
It still seems an area that we are let down in Linux world.
Which is a shame. I have everything else working fine (Games utils the lot, some using WINE but they work fine).
Printing always becomes a problem however.
So advice please?
I don't do a lot of printing( so no costly solutions), but I DO need to do some.
I would like to get a colour laser that is an 'all in one' so that we can use tit as a copier also, but from Linux, I just need to print.
I have scanners (there is another mine filed! lol).
Alan
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the database at linuxprinting.org but it is hard to go wrong with HP as they provide open source drivers for their printers, scanners and AIOs.
salan3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I have looked there and it is so sad that there is not more choice especially with the selection of 'all in ones' etc out there now. Some at very cheap prices. Hp are great, but the cost is more then I can justify for the amount of printing I do.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more choice, but HP is the safest bet. With anything else, check it on linuxprintng.org before buying.

I bought a Brother AIO laser last year. It's a nice piece of kit, reasonably priced and good quality. Driver installation was less straightforward then with HP, because Brother don't appear to get how Linux and FOSS are supposed to be used.
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon MF8030Cn which works well with my Debian Testing 64-bit system. I have to say though, that it's not fast. The first print takes quite a long time to appear.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only do a little colour printing, taking a PDF to your local printshop will be cheaper than buying a laser printer.

Get an all-in-one inkjet for the other functions and the times you don't need colour.
salan3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
If you only do a little colour printing, taking a PDF to your local printshop will be cheaper than buying a laser printer.

Get an all-in-one inkjet for the other functions and the times you don't need colour.

We used to have that but the inks just kept drying up!
That's why we have a colour laser. It can sit there for months and work when we switch it back on.
Yes it would be cheaper to just take a file to local to be printed ,but not useful enough as I do not have access to a car, so you a\re talking about two bus journeys etc. and about two hours to get something printed.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, have you the room for a simple colour laser printer and an all in one inkjet? That would probably be cheaper.
tweetiepooh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Brother works for me Reply with quote

We have a Brother hl4040cn and it works (mostly) under Linux.

CUPS recommends the foomatic driver but that leads to E1 error on the printer so stick with the Brother driver. This can be got from the Brother site and is simply a matter of installing 2 packages :
1 for lpr
1 for CUPS

We chose the Brother because of Linux support and because for 200 we got a network printer supplied with full cartridges (1500 pages) and 3 years on-site support.

Trouble is now its a few years old and the generic carts seem less good than anticipated spares would cost more than a new printer. So we are also looking to replace it. Would choose Brother again but are not set on it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: