Verified by Visa

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Verified by Visa

Postby Nuke » Mon May 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Twice recently I have tried to buy something on-line, have been told I need to "Verify by Visa" [VbV], have seen the VbV form come up in a frame in the merchant's page, but then to be replaced in the frame almost immediately by a portion of the merchant's own log-in screen.

Anyone else had this experience? Is it a bug with FF, VbV or the merchant's website?

Specifically, I am using Firefox 4.0.1 (works with everything else), have already logged into the merchant's website, registered with VbV some time ago, and the merchant is LCN (= Low Cost Names http://www.lcn.com) who provide a domain name service. Both failures were with LCN, and after I moaned to them the first time two months ago nothing has changed.

None of this alters the fact that VbV (and equivalent Mastercard system) is a PITA. I don't know what it adds.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 pm

You're using what version of firefox!??

You may want to update and see if there is still a problem
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Mon May 27, 2013 6:54 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:You're using what version of firefox!??

Tell me if there is something newer. I've just looked at Mozilla's Firefox web pages (like here http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/) and cannot find any indication whatever as to what the latest version number is, although plenty of exhortions to download it.
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Is your purchase verified or not? Recently I have noticed a change in how Verified by Visa works but I have always had my purchases verified.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 pm

You don't update applications by going to the application's own website but by using the update system in your Linux distro!

What linux are you using? I can not believe there are any distros still around with FF 4.0.1, as I am now on FF 21.0.

I also wonder if VbV needs a java plugin which you do not have installed. Not sure abut that, but worth looking into.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Mon May 27, 2013 11:04 pm

johnhudson wrote:Is your purchase verified or not? Recently I have noticed a change in how Verified by Visa works but I have always had my purchases verified.

As I said, the verification form appeared in a frame only for a split second, so I had no chance to fill it in. After that I just renewed my domain by phone - done in no time, and they were so dismissive about my VbV problem that I got the impression that they were up to there with the damned thing.
Last edited by Nuke on Mon May 27, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Mon May 27, 2013 11:08 pm

ajgreeny wrote:You don't update applications by going to the application's own website but by using the update system in your Linux distro!

Yes, but I was trying to find out what the latest version is.

ajgreeny wrote:What linux are you using? I can not believe there are any distros still around with FF 4.0.1, as I am now on FF 21.0.

Mepis v11.0. It uses the Debian stable repositories; I have just looked with the package manager and see that they now offer v9.0.1 -1

But FF v4 --> v21 ??! I have missed 17 major revisions??! I must have been through a time warp - what year is it please ?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Tue May 28, 2013 6:43 am

But FF v4 --> v21 ??! I have missed 17 major revisions??! I must have been through a time warp - what year is it please ?

There was a point where FF went through releases very rapidly (and they posted info as to what they were doing).
I had the impression that they thought they lost credibility with IE being so many release numbers ahead, and, since then, major release numbers have been used where they used to use very minor release numbers for changes.

I'm using 17.0.6 ESR for my Windows systems, and 20.? for Mint/Ubuntu.

On the topic of card verification, at one point I was getting confused by having a screen flash up quickly, and then going back to the merchant - my providers said that this was expected for certain merchants where I had traded with them before and had got verification in the past!
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 am

The Mozilla people went mad a year or two ago, and decided to increment the major version number with nearly every minor version upgrade. So as said above, it's now at version 21.0 (or maybe it's 22.0 by now :D ).
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Wed May 29, 2013 6:08 am

Update on FF yesterday on my Win7 system took it to 21.0 - I'd forgotten that PC was on the release channel, not ESR
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby Steogede » Fri May 31, 2013 1:20 am

Was this problem two different sites or did it occur twice on the same site?

Have you made any substantial settings to your settings, e.g. have you disabled cookies?
Steogede
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Steogede wrote:Was this problem two different sites or did it occur twice on the same site?

Recently, same site twice - www.lcn.com, domain name provider. But I have had the problem with other sites, can't remember which though.

Steogede wrote:Have you made any substantial settings to your settings, e.g. have you disabled cookies?

No
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Nuke wrote:
Steogede wrote:Was this problem two different sites or did it occur twice on the same site?

Recently, same site twice - www.lcn.com, domain name provider. But I have had the problem with other sites, can't remember which though.

Steogede wrote:Have you made any substantial settings to your settings, e.g. have you disabled cookies?

No
I'm not sure if this your related to your problem, but the link in your quoted post above has a comma at the end, and therefore does not work at all. Remove the comma and all is well.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Not a firefox problem

Postby Hopper » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Today I ordered some business goods using the chrome browser on Win 7 and got the same problem that Nuke started this topic. I then ordered some more goods for my wife from the same supplier using IE10 - The verified by visa popped up, disappeared and then froze the window for about 30 seconds whilst going through a process of authenticating. The purchase then went through. (in itself that was strange as the whole purpose of verified by visa is that you have to input your VbV password or at least 3 of its characters eg 1st, 4th and 6th.

Last week I bought a few premium bonds from NSANDI and got an error 505 (?) when the VbV kicked in to complete the purchase. Something is definitely wrong with VbV and its not the browser that's to blame.
Rig from 2009: Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo with onboard NVidia Geforce 9300 graphics, 4GB Ram, E7500 Dual Core Processor,
Hopper

Return to Help!