Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB to go on Nexus 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: USB to go on Nexus 7 Reply with quote

Problem trying to connect my camera to my Nexus 7 tablet via USB. I've tried various apps and the camera always displays something like "corrupt connection."

Setup is: Nexus > USB On The Go adapter > PC-to-camera USB cable supplied > camera.

Things that might be wrong:

- Does the PC-to-camera cable need to be USB On The Go as well? What is the difference?

- Do I need to download a special USB OTG driver/app for the camera app to find?

- Any other thoughts?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nexus 7 needs to be rooted to use USB OTG. A standard USB cable is fine as long as you have the correct adaptor between it and the Nexus - mine cost a pound or two from Amazon. I haven't tried it with a camera but it works well with pendrives and an SD card reader. To use a camera, it must be in mass storage mode, not PTP.

I also installed Stickmount to enable automounting of devices.

Alternatively, you could try one of the camera apps in the market.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Nexus media importer allows transfer without rooting.

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know, although I rooted mine the day I got it so it never really bothered me.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Pay-for apps, pay-for cable, still no guarantee of success.

Think I'll use my PC to drag-and-drop from camera to Dropbox. Backs everything up for me at the same time.

Dropbox is awesome. Why doesn't someone build a cloud-based hardware+software platform? (Only joking, Google. Just wish there was a 6" widescreen Chromebook out there).
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Thanks all. Pay-for apps, pay-for cable, still no guarantee of success.

If the device is rooted, there's no need for a paid app, just a 1 cable. If you like, i can dig out the URL of the one I bought from Amazon.

guy wrote:
Dropbox is awesome.

Wait 'til you see LXF 173 Smile
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelz,

'fraid I don't root things, too much like hard work. And I think the automount toy would still be an extra. Other issue is whether my camera's file format is compatible with the available apps.

It'd have been nice not to need a PC in the loop, but it's not worth fussing over those niceties when I can just drag-and-dropbox. Saves me a speculative quid on the cable, too.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're joking. Download a shell script, plug in the tablet, run the script. It really is that simple. I root all Android devices as a matter of course now, if only because it lets me run the excellent Titanium Backup. The was a godsend earlier this year when my S3 died overnight, but not before Titanium Backup had saved everything to the SD card.

I did post the URL to Stickmount, so you know it's free.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Download a shell script". Which shell script/rootkit should I trust and why? How does this particular exploit affect security? Might some future Android update turn out to be incompatible with my rooted toy? Where do I find it? If it's such a great idea, why is there no root-my-Android app prominent on Google Play? Do I care enough to find answers to all these questions? Yawn.

"Plug in the tablet". That'll be yet another cable for my family to half-inch, then.

"Titanium Backup." Who needs backup apps when you've got cloud storage with an offline mode? On Dropbox, star what you want to access offline and every device is a backup server. Has already saved my bacon at least once.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from xda-developers but Google and pick one from a reputable source. It doesn't affect security because rooting the phone only allows you to run apps as root, you still need to give permission for individual apps to run as root.

Keep your USB cables in a locked drawer Smile

Does Google backup every program, its settings and data to the cloud? Can you restore everything back to a working phone in less that 30 minutes? Although I have to admit I'm paranoid about backup of everything, including my backups (Titanium Bckup backs up to my SD card and then it is synced to my local server because Dropbox is too slow).
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, I could do that but do I really want arbitrary apps to run as root? Google certainly don't seem to think it is a good idea.

I don't have a locked drawer. The kids accidentally "borrowed" and lost the keys longer ago than I care to remember. Razz

Why back up device-specific stuff when a dead device means buying a new device? I mean, it's not as if I am going to take risks with the config settings by rooting it or something. This is a consumer device and I am a dumb consumer not a Linux geek (ducks for cover). I don't backup my TV or my car or my washing machine settings, why my tablet?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Well, yeah, I could do that but do I really want arbitrary apps to run as root?

You don't, neither do I, and that's not what happens. NNothng runs as root unless you say it can. Even an update of a program to a new version resets that permission.

guy wrote:
Why back up device-specific stuff when a dead device means buying a new device? I mean, it's not as if I am going to take risks with the config settings by rooting it or something. This is a consumer device and I am a dumb consumer not a Linux geek (ducks for cover). I don't backup my TV or my car or my washing machine settings, why my tablet?

Have you not heard of warranties. When my S3 packed up after 6 months it was repaired and factory reset, yet I restored everything in minutes. In fact, I managed to restore most of the settings, and all of the software, to my old Nexus S to use in the meantime.

TVs and washing machines don't hold any useful information. Resetting a TV will not affect my ability to earn. Now, a reset/reformat of a PVR would be far more tragic - but we have iPlayer and Pirate Bay for backups of that content Wink
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nothng runs as root unless you say it can". Like, I am going to read all the "this app will pwn your soul" permissions before I decide whether to download it. At least it won't pwn my OS quite so easily if I have no root access to grant it.

Seriously, the ability to run as root provides a significant opportunity for malicious exploits. While I can run stuff as root on my desktop PC, I don't download apps which demand manifold and curious permissions. OTOH I download all kinds of toys to my Nexus, so avoiding the option to run as root is more sensible. Or, you could say it boils down to trusting the Debian official repos more than I trust Google Play.

On backups. How many toys fail under warranty during the lifetime of a typical backup app installation? Over the last 40 years, I'd say 0% was an accurate count in my experience. Bear in mind that nowadays I use computers because I want to use them, not to tinker for the sake of it. So these days my settings are pretty vanilla. Frankly, the various backup tools I have used over the years have given me far more grief than the hardware ever did. Even Unison ****ed me around over versioning and networking. I saved a lot more time when I stopped faffing with settings backups.

One backup I do still maintain is the dead tree with dye stains detailing my user accounts and passwords. Not that I keep it anywhere too obvious, grin - my kids taught me that one a long time ago!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
"Nothng runs as root unless you say it can". Like, I am going to read all the "this app will pwn your soul" permissions before I decide whether to download it. At least it won't pwn my OS quite so easily if I have no root access to grant it.

you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. Do you have su installed? Does that mean anything can run as root? The program asks for root permissions when it runs, you can answer Yes/No/Just this time. If you don't answer, it takes it as no. Basically, you have su on the device and when a program needs root access it calls su (a nit like some desktop apps that pop up a similar requester when they need root privileges). There is no more danger of RandomApp getting root privileges on Android than there is of Synaptic running as root on a Linux desktop.

On the failure rate, of the Android devices I have bought in the last year, my failure rate has been 50%. You may not need backups, I do. I only mentioned them as the original reason I rooted my devices. You have a different reason, to be able to use USB OTG. If you don't want to root fair enough, that's your choice, but you also said you didn't want to use a paid app. That leaves you with no more choices, but that is also your choice.

I've also had my fair share of hard drive failures, some down to dirty power, one of which failed while writing a review of backup software for LXF. Thanks to all the backups, I didn't have to start again from scratch Smile
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
That leaves you with no more choices

Except Dropbox Smile

Thanks for the heads-up on rooting. Maybe once the warranty has run out.... Razz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: