3D Printing

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

3D Printing

Postby jlturriff » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm

I've just been reading the latest issue of Make Magazine (yes, I do read other stuff besides LXF :-)), their "Ultimate Guide To 3D Printing."

Unfortunately, though it does list the various printers' OS support, its review of software covers only what runs on the Windows platform.

I realize that reviewing 3D printers would be a rather involved task, but it would be interesting to know what's available in the way of Linux software for 3D printing.

Thanks for a great mag!

Leslie / Missouri USA
jlturriff

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 am

It may sound strange, but 3D printing isn't that much different then a plotter or other CAM machine. It needs Gerber files to do its job. Blender is an Open Source 3D drawing program, amongst other I'd add... Use Google to find more ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby jlturriff » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm

I agree.

But I can't remember LXF covering the subject, and I think it would make a good article.

Leslie
jlturriff

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 am

I'm sure it does, but it is a rather niche subject... It'll probably won't sell that well, outside subscribers... ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby einonm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:25 am

I've just built myself a RepRap (reprap.org) - which, quite frankly is bloomin' ace. I can now print all the lego bits I'll ever need...

The basic software for the reprap is GPL, but there are loads of more sophisticated CAD programs, including Blender, that are available for Linux. I'd love a review of 3D printing / reprap capable CAD programs to appear in the mag. Any chance...?

The RepRap was invented by a guy from Bath Uni, so I'm sure LF can easily get hold of some hardware if they ask nicely :D
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." --Brian Kernighan
einonm

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs