Article suggestion: Amazon discriminates against Linux users

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Article suggestion: Amazon discriminates against Linux users

Postby zeno » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Hiya,

Not sure whether you guys would want to pick this up but I think some naming and shaming is in order when it comes to Amazon.

With their recent introduction of the Cloudplayer they have started to make it more and more difficult to download whole albums from their website but only if you use Linux (see http://code.google.com/p/clamz/issues/detail?id=35 and particularly the last comment in http://code.google.com/p/clamz/issues/detail?id=36).

I think a company that heavily relies on Linux like Amazon should be questioned on its motives for this move.

Sending emails to their customer support is no use but I think a major Linux magazine like yours calling their press office might result in some response.

What do you think?

KInd regards,
Zeno
zeno

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 am

Maybe something a little more general, about DRM and Linux, how firms limit access without good reason.
Are they afraid that because Linux users are generally more tech savvy, that they are more likley to break DRM?
Or is it because they fear a move to Linux by those who want a free ride?
The use of DRM is often enforced by the media companies as part of their deals with distributors, e.g. Netflix, Blinkbox and Lovefilm all moved to Silverlight, although MS has ceased development on it, due to pressure from movie companies.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby xenopeek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am

The need to use a client program (other than my web browser) to download songs or albums was why I've never considered using Amazon. I'm using 7digital, and can just download through my web browser. 7digital has as large a catalog as Amazon, so no loss there. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_music_stores for comparing online music stores.

All these stores seem to have a restriction on the number of times you can download your files, so you need to keep backups yourself :?
Linux Mint 14 Nadia / 64-bit / Cinnamon
xenopeek

Postby heiowge » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am

I agree. On the rare occasions I have downloaded music from one of these sites, I use 7digital. The rest are too restrictive.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs