Issue 168 Windows 8 Vs Linux

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Issue 168 Windows 8 Vs Linux

Postby reklan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 am

Must say that this was an excellent article.. and though some people may say that obviously, the Linux Magazine will put Linux as the winner, I found it to hit the nail on the head.

Ok I'll admit that I first used Linux with Suse version 5 and fell in love with it.. started using linux fully with Mandrake version 8.

BUT i have also been using MS Os'es from DOS 3.3 for Work (I'm an IT Manager)

I have also been an MS Beta tester since Windows 98.. I can honestly say Windows 8 is the biggest bag of crap they have produced.. Yes I beta tested it, Hey a even bought a copy to install on one of my Laptops ( and have tried to use it properly to give it a fair go) The laptop previously ran windows 7 fantastically along with the usual Office apps, Visual studio, Eve Online and World of Warcraft.

With Win 8 installed to run EvE and Wow acceptably I had to really turn down the graphic to bare minimum, but still it wouldn't run correctly.. and everything that the article mentions about the apps and really needing 2 version of everything one for the metro interface and one for the desktop to get a suitable experience.

I actually unstalled it on Saturday and put Ubuntu 12.10 on the same laptop install Eve and WoW under wine and oh my god what a difference.. I'm even enjoying Unity now.. after Win 8 Unity makes sense (please don't hit me.. :-) )

So well done guys.. Wish you had done this last month and saved me the extra month of pain..
Last edited by reklan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby Nuke » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm

I have heard a lot of bad things about Win8, anecdotally, such as rants on Slashdot, but this is the first time I have read a professional review of it.

It sounds awful.

Basically, MS have forced a fondleslab UI on to every platform, including desktop PCs. When you ask why they could not have a different UI for different platforms, it seems that it is to give a uniform interface in case users get confused.

Yet I, and most people, cope with many different interfaces every day without getting confused, like TV, DVD player, phone, PC - and every web site has a different interface too. I even drive a car and ride a bike without insisting that the bike has a steering wheel.

This looks funny BTW. I haven't watched it all myself yet though - saving it for later :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo&feature=youtu.be
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

My neighbour bought a Win8 laptop for his son but couldn't get it to see wifi, I couldn't find any easy way to configure wifi either :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs