Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raspberry pi as remote backup server...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Raspberry pi as remote backup server... Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting myself a pi, sticking an old 2.5" laptop disk on it, and plugging it into the back of my Mother in law's broadband router, and then rsyncing my own backups over to it to have an offsite backup. I would also probably have her PC backup to it, and I would be able to rsync those backups to our house to offsite her stuff.

I've already got the 2.5" disk, and suitable power supplies, so the only outlay would be for the pi itself which would be headless & keyboard/mouseless once it's been initially built.

I'd set up dynamic DNS for her place, use ssh for the connection, and would run ssh over a suitable port which would need to be opened up & forwarded on the router.

I probably need ~20-30GB of storage and I've thought of using dropbox/google/microsoft cloud storage but then I'm into the realms of paying monthly for that amount of storage, and I'm putting my stuff into the hands of the mega-corps so I'm not that keen.

Are there any potential pitfalls that I haven't thought of in this setup, or anything else I need to consider?

Do you think it's worth doing, or is it just too much hassle?
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload/Download speeds?
Might want initial backup locally then walk/cycle/drive/post/carrier pigeon data across.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my backups are already done to a local partition on each box, then they rsync to headless system in the spare room, thereby giving me redundancy within the house.

The headless system in the spare room could then be rsyncing all night every night if required (I'd probably schedule it to only sync overnight so as not to interfere with the 'interactive user experience').

At the moment I do a full backup once a week and incrementals daily but I might need to change the schedule on that to maybe only do a full backup once a month or so depending on how it goes. Thinking about it stuff like my pictures & music don't change that much so could just have a full backup every 6 months or so.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a good plan. You could also consider running BackupPC on the Pi, although it may be a little slow depending on the number of computers you are backing up - there is a package for it in the Raspian repos.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer to BackupPC, I haven't looked at it before so I'll check it out.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: