Linux and USB3 - issues...

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux and USB3 - issues...

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 am

Hi folks,

I've got a general query as I'm in the process of collating information...

Does anyone else have issues with USB3 devices on USB3 ports in linux? By 'issues' I mean taking ages to be discovered, randomly disconnecting and reconnecting and the worst of all... data corruption on transfer and kernel panics.

I've seen this now on kernel 2.6.something-or-other (whatever the latest CentOS kernel is, I forget), kernel 3.2.0-xx (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) and 3.5.0-xx (Ubuntu 12.10). I've also given it a test with Archbang, kernel 3.6.8... all exhibit the same issues.

I ask because at first I thought the issues I was having were just a dodgy USB3 HDD or cable, but a second drive (different manufacturer) does it too... and a colleagues brand new office PC also exhibits the same issues with her USB3 HDD.

If the drives are plugged into a USB2 port, they are rock solid.

Any similar experience, thoughts or suggestions?
Paradigm Shifter

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Are these problems all on 1 computers USB3 ports? Is there another computer you could try? I have USB3 ports but no USB3 devices. Are USB2 devices ok in your USB3 ports?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:Are these problems all on 1 computers USB3 ports? Is there another computer you could try? I have USB3 ports but no USB3 devices. Are USB2 devices ok in your USB3 ports?

Four different computers (one a laptop), three different USB3 controllers (Intel, Renesas and NEC) and USB2 devices are OK.

Tried different 'types' of USB3 ports, too - the ones on the mobo back panel, the ones in the case and the ones on a SATA caddy/USB3 combo affair...

I've suffered issus in Windows 7 as well, but nowhere near as bad as in Linux. Windows issues boil down to transfer rates perhaps not being all the should be; no transfer corruption or BSODs, though.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:12 pm

It would seem that the USB3 "standard" is not being terribly well implemented.
USB3 drives should be backwardly compatible, but seldom are.
USB2 devices are unreliable in USB3 ports.
We sell MFDs with USB2 ports, and they often fail with USB3 devices.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 am

Well, it's good to hear that others have issues with USB3. I guess that's what you get with a new 'standard' that still isn't really ready for the prime-time. :(

Will monitor the situation over the coming weeks, but it's really putting me off USB3 devices.

Although it's weird - a USB3 'QuickPort Dock' for internal HDDs exhibits none of these issues at all. It's always flawless.
Paradigm Shifter

Return to Help!