Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux and USB3 - issues...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Linux and USB3 - issues... Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've got a general query as I'm in the process of collating information...

Does anyone else have issues with USB3 devices on USB3 ports in linux? By 'issues' I mean taking ages to be discovered, randomly disconnecting and reconnecting and the worst of all... data corruption on transfer and kernel panics.

I've seen this now on kernel 2.6.something-or-other (whatever the latest CentOS kernel is, I forget), kernel 3.2.0-xx (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) and 3.5.0-xx (Ubuntu 12.10). I've also given it a test with Archbang, kernel 3.6.8... all exhibit the same issues.

I ask because at first I thought the issues I was having were just a dodgy USB3 HDD or cable, but a second drive (different manufacturer) does it too... and a colleagues brand new office PC also exhibits the same issues with her USB3 HDD.

If the drives are plugged into a USB2 port, they are rock solid.

Any similar experience, thoughts or suggestions?
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these problems all on 1 computers USB3 ports? Is there another computer you could try? I have USB3 ports but no USB3 devices. Are USB2 devices ok in your USB3 ports?
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobthebob1234 wrote:
Are these problems all on 1 computers USB3 ports? Is there another computer you could try? I have USB3 ports but no USB3 devices. Are USB2 devices ok in your USB3 ports?

Four different computers (one a laptop), three different USB3 controllers (Intel, Renesas and NEC) and USB2 devices are OK.

Tried different 'types' of USB3 ports, too - the ones on the mobo back panel, the ones in the case and the ones on a SATA caddy/USB3 combo affair...

I've suffered issus in Windows 7 as well, but nowhere near as bad as in Linux. Windows issues boil down to transfer rates perhaps not being all the should be; no transfer corruption or BSODs, though.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that the USB3 "standard" is not being terribly well implemented.
USB3 drives should be backwardly compatible, but seldom are.
USB2 devices are unreliable in USB3 ports.
We sell MFDs with USB2 ports, and they often fail with USB3 devices.

Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's good to hear that others have issues with USB3. I guess that's what you get with a new 'standard' that still isn't really ready for the prime-time. Sad

Will monitor the situation over the coming weeks, but it's really putting me off USB3 devices.

Although it's weird - a USB3 'QuickPort Dock' for internal HDDs exhibits none of these issues at all. It's always flawless.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: