MAJOR project for you guys lol

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

MAJOR project for you guys lol

Postby CarpeNoctum » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:43 pm

ok well...I've heard about Linux and just got a free distro from the magazine...but when it comes to it..im a complete newb as reards linux! i dont know the first thing about it from installation to do's and don't, compatability with software hardware etc etc etc...the list goes on...so I'm asking you guys a big favour...could anyone and everyone try and help me out? any resources, help, hints tips etc that anyone has...can you please post them here or PM me with them?

Just for reference, the copy of Linux I have is Slackware Linux 10.1.

If you need any more info on what I have here then just ask!

Thanks in advance to EVERYONE that helps :D
Regards,
CarpeNoctum
CarpeNoctum

RE: MAJOR project for you guys lol

Postby fxalpha » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:21 pm

Good choice, my box was running Slack til this morning. Slack is great if you're patient and willing to learn. You don't get fancy config tools installed by default, but you can change most things just by editing files.
userlocal.com, slackersbible.com are good for reading up on general slack stuff.
linuxpackages.net will let you search for packages built for slack, you can install them by using pkgtool.
ldp.org is documentation for linux in general.
Slackware can be hard work but once you start learning (from your mistakes), it's soooo much fun.
Word of warning - prepare! Don't just dive in cos you may lose data / temper / your mind.
I'll be back later
al
fxalpha

Postby fxalpha » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Another quick tip. Get knoppix live cd (it runs linux off the cd without installing), burn the iso to cd and boot from it (you may have to change boot order in you BIOS). Knoppix has always been my friend when I didn't know which kernel module (driver) to use for,say, my sound card. Visit knoppix.org for info on how to use the cd and where to get it. You could read up on slack while it's downloading.
fxalpha

Postby Deke » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:25 pm

If you're a tuuuurtle newbie I wouldn't recommend Slackware to learn with. Go for one of the simpler distributions like Mand*****, Ubuntu, or Xandros.

Plenty of time to switch to a sensible distro when you know what you're doing... :D
Deke

Postby fxalpha » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:07 pm

Reckon I have to agree with that for starters. I've used Mandrake and it's quite easy to pick up and use. One of the things you'll find with any distro is the absence of dvd decoder, won't play wmv etc cos of legal issues. http://plf.zarb.org has many of the packages you will need if you're after a multimedia desktop. urpmi is fab as well.
al
fxalpha

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:27 pm

Have to agree with Deke. Stick with one of the more popular distros to start with. SuSe 9.2 on March 2005 Linux format coverdisc is an excellent distro.
Then again it would depend on what specs your pc have.

Postby davecs » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:29 pm

I know I'll get done for repetition here, but I think the easiest install and a fine distro is PCLinxOS at www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos . It runs as a live CD but you can install it if you like.

If you hang on a week or so, version 0.9 will be out and it promises some real up-to-date features which make mounting USB keys, CDs, blank CDs etc on a par with Windows. There are also separate versions to cope with Nvidia graphics, ATi graphics, or "standard".

It installs in 15 minutes and it is dead easy for a complete n00b to keep up to date.

Otherwise, I would agree that Mandriva/SuSE are easy to use, but you have to select what software to install.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby jer1ch0 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:52 pm

Any distro that get my ati radeon 9600 running at 1280 x 1024 will get me seriously interested.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:42 am

ok i'll have a crack at slackware (carefully lol) im only a newb to linux..i have a little bit of experience otherwise. if I get totally baffled I'll either re-post or try one of the other distros.

i got a version of Linux(cant remember which one) a looong time ago...burned it to disk and tried to install it on a partition (which is wot i want to do with Slack) but the disk wouldnt even boot up (i probably made a cock - up somewhere)

Re: RE: MAJOR project for you guys lol

Postby yakkerty » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:13 pm

jer1ch0 wrote:Any distro that get my ati radeon 9600 running at 1280 x 1024 will get me seriously interested.

with my Radeon 9250 128MB

Mandrake Linux 10.1 with quite a bit of fiddling around with modules and then 3D was a bit ropey.

Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 'straight out of the box' , 3D and everything.

Not sure if that helps.
yakkerty

Re: RE: MAJOR project for you guys lol

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:43 pm

jer1ch0 wrote:Any distro that get my ati radeon 9600 running at 1280 x 1024 will get me seriously interested.

Try Ubuntu Linux.

That got my ATI Radeon 9700Pro going.

It was fantastic. I've only been trying to do this for 8 months, til now.

10/10 Ubuntu

RE: Re: RE: MAJOR project for you guys lol

Postby Jacket » Thu May 05, 2005 3:57 pm

I have to suggest for all newbies, and those to whom i am trying to intro Linux, knoppix, and a few other live CD distro's are the go. Demo goes.. drop in CD reboot, chat (run spiel about benefits of Linux/explain the process of installing an OS) for the few minutes it takes Knoppix to boot, then get on with surfing net, showing them OO, printing stuff, and accessing their files. Then shut down remove cd, chat, and they are back in their O/S. Leave knoppix CD, wait for them to play and call me later... painless.
Jacket

Return to Help!