Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GTK3 and GNOME rotting?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farcry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: GTK3 and GNOME rotting?! Reply with quote

There's a fantastic discussion here about GTK3 and GNOME3, especially the high-handed attitude of certain developers to impose their chosen way ("brand"), regardless of the wider impact (for example, breaking themes). KDE4 gets grubbed quite a bit too, as you might expect after the KDE3->4 debacle. The future is looking really messy, unless you decide to become a dedicated conformist or true believer ...

PS: I'm ex-KDE3 and ex-GNOME2 and for some time have used Openbox + Tint2 + selected (mainly GTK2+3, a few Qt) extra apps. Razor-Qt seems quite neat and heading in a reasonable direction.
Wink
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like unity and xfce.
I think that unity happened partly because canonical saw the way that gnome3 community was going and decided to grow their own.

Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farcry wrote:
There's a fantastic discussion here about GTK3 and GNOME3

Crikey, I've just had a look and that IgnorantGuru's Blog has a bigger discussion than Slashdot usually does. Is this a well-known blog, and is IgnorantGuru an individual?
Farcry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: IgnorantGuru's blog Reply with quote

Nuke wrote:
Crikey, I've just had a look and that IgnorantGuru's Blog has a bigger discussion than Slashdot usually does. Is this a well-known blog, and is IgnorantGuru an individual?

Blog is becoming better known, as IgnorantGuru's excellent SpaceFM file manager and udevil un/mounter become deservedly more popular. IgnorantGuru has contributed often to the Arch Linux forums, for example: about SpaceFM. Also was one of the folk very critical about Arch's lack of package signing - now, of course, all in the past.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: