how to connect internet via USB ADLS modem in Ubuntu Desktop

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

how to connect internet via USB ADLS modem in Ubuntu Desktop

Postby emre » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi,
I have Alcatel Thomson speedtouch 330 USB model modem.I can run Ubuntu Desktop 64 liveUSB flawlessly but I don't know how to set up my internet connection ?I clicked Network manager and entered my ISP username and password but it didn't work
can somebody help me? thank you

will my connection be " wired " or "DLS" on connection managers?

or which is the best distro for USB modems

thank you
emre

Postby dandnsmith » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 am

I did a quick google search - here are the results

There are several threads which look promising - I suggest you have a look to see which suits you.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am

I seem to remember that if you install wvdial, and use the commandline utility wvdialconf, it will set up the modem, but I would advise getting a proper modem which wiil "just work" :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby emre » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 pm

dandnsmith wrote:I did a quick google search - here are the results

There are several threads which look promising - I suggest you have a look to see which suits you.

thank you so much for your answers
if you dont mind I would like to ask another question related to my first question..

before I asked my question ,I had googled some key words and even though I had found many pages ,most of them were out-of-date and complicated ..I just found a page explains it more simply..http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797804 but it says i have to install some deb files and network manager program.But Network manager program link doesnt work. do you think I have to install network manager ?I think I saw this program already installed on Ubuntu ?

and I would like to ask how to install .deb files..

( as far I learned I will try to copy them in a folder in my flashdisk and then I will run terminal in ubuntu and then I will write this code for every file .)

cd /home/ctest/Downloads/
dpkg -i random_name.deb

thank you :)
emre

Postby dandnsmith » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:20 am

It's unfortunate that you've happened on a special package on a site which doesn't seem to exist any more.

The basic dpkg -i is the method - but you probably need to use sudo to get the privileges to do it successfully.

I'd be extremely doubtful about trying a solution for 8.04 - which probably wasn't written for 64bit OS use. Most of the posts go back a fair way.

I don't know about wvdial etc - possibly that is the way to go. I would, in your situation, cut my losses and get a 'normal' router, which can be set up easily and give you internet access without pain.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 pm

I did set up one of those routers using wvdial but it was several years ago and I can't find the notes I made, which is why I advised getting a proper router that will "just work" :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Those Alcatel speedtouch modems are notoriously awkward, being "winmodems".
There are least three versions, all of which require different firmware to be installed.
The first thing you need to do is find out what model/version you have.
They are also notoriously unreliable.
A modern ADSL router is a much better bet, most ISP s give them away free, and they have the bonus of a builtin firewall, not to mention being able to connect more than one PC.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Hardware