Using tar in shell script [SOLVED]

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Using tar in shell script [SOLVED]

Postby Craxus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 am

I use my TFTP server to store the configs of various routers, switches and firewalls. Each device has its own sub-directory beneath the TFTP root directory, and in each sub-directory is one file, named 'running-config'. I want to run a script just before midnight each day to check whether the file has been modified on that day, and if so, make a backup copy. I've written a small script to use 'find' and 'tar' but it puts the backup files in the location I run the script from, (i.e. the TFTP root directory), but I want each backup file in each config directory. I know why it's doing this, but I can't figure out the correct code to get it to do what I want. This is my script:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
cd /var/lib/tftpboot/
find . -type f -name running-config -exec tar czf running-config-`/bin/date +\%Y\%m\%d`.gz {} \;

How do I make the backup file stay in the same directory as the original file?
Last edited by Craxus on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craxus

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am

I would probably do something like this:
#!/bin/bash
cd /var/lib/tftpboot/
for configfile in `find . -type f -name running-config` ; do  tar czf "${configfile}-`/bin/date +\%Y\%m\%d`.gz"  "${configfile}" ; done
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Re: Using tar in shell script

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Or
find . -type f -name running-config -exec tar czf $(dirname {})/running-config-`/bin/date +\%Y\%m\%d`.gz {} \;
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Craxus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm

That's fixed it, thanks.

#!/bin/bash
cd /var/lib/tftpboot/
for configfile in `find . -type f -name running-config` ; do  tar czf "${configfile}-`/bin/date +\%Y\%m\%d`.gz"  "${configfile}" ; done
Craxus

Return to Help!