Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi I have a question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyprogramming

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Hi I have a question? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone Im new to this forums, and I just have a question. Can I edit linux codes through windows xp, like what software do I need and stuff like that. I want to make my own linux distro I have the source code but dont know how or what software should I use. Thanks everyone. I know how to program and stuff, I just dont know what I need to use. Very Happy And Im sorry if this is in the wrong place on this forum.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but using M$ products to compile that source code just will not work as they explicitly produce Windows compatible exes Wink now that does not mean that you can not edit that source code on XP you just will not be able to run it,till you have a viable gnu based build environment.
ps use Notepad++ to edit

Enjoy the Choice Smile
andyprogramming

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so its ok to get any Linux to compile the source code, what software would i need to compile on Linux, I just use the command terminal, sorry about this but, I only used Linux for about a year so im not that good at it yet, it was Linux Mint, I know how to program I just don't know what software to use on Linux, and if i need to know a new programming language I can do it. thanks for your time.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not good at it, and know it, don't start your own distro... Yet Wink
andyprogramming

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to start my own Linux yet, I just like to see how things work, would Linux Mint be good to start with to learn from or what do you suggest. Very Happy
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What programming language do you currently use ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Cygwin as a compiler environment, but from the sounds of it, getting more linux experience would be more helpful. Smile

While I'm fairly new to spending a lot of my time in linux, and there are a lot of things which still trip me up, if you want to jump in I'd suggest a Virtual Machine. That way, you can play to your hearts content without actually hosing an install on the real hardware. The ability to export VMs is great when you want to try something, but aren't sure if it's going to screw up the system you've put a lot of time into. Very Happy

From there, have a play with Arch Linux (their documentation is excellent, and will show you the inner workings of some areas with something of a safety net), and possibly installing something like Ubuntu Server and building your own 'remix' - that'll give you a taste of Debian based distros, too.

From there you can look at downloading the Linux From Scratch books (free) which will guide you through building a distro like it says on the tin - from scratch. LFS can be a bit unforgiving, though, hence the suggestion for getting a little more up to speed via softer routes first... Wink
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 20Gb spare on your XP machine, you could dual boot a Linux distro.

Later versions of Windows tend to create problems for Linux but XP doesn't.

Any distro will come with GCC for C programming and Python - the best places to start.
lwhistler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyprogramming wrote:
I don't really want to start my own Linux yet, I just like to see how things work, would Linux Mint be good to start with to learn from or what do you suggest. Very Happy

Fedora and the Xfce desktop.
or
Ubuntu and the Xfce desktop.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can do some Linux and cross-platform programming on XP, but it's not good - especially if you eventually want to roll your own distro, you need to be at home on Linux itself: learn the shell commands, the filesystem, users and privileges, the philosophy (e.g. "everything is a file").

So you need to install Linux alongside Windows, called "dual-boot". You can virtualise, but since you have XP without any disk, dual-booting is much safer. If you do not have enough HD space, you will need to buy another HD - internal or external.

Do you want to modify an existing distro (fairly easy) or build a new one from scratch (more complicated)? Ubuntu modify Debian, Mint modify Ubuntu, others modify Mint. So I'd suggest you start by modifying any of these.

A good starting point might be http://www.tuxradar.com/content/build-your-own-linux-distribution-easy-way
UsrBinSomething

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with either Mint or OpenSuse. You could download the source code of whichever program you're interested in modifying, and merely read through it and try and work out what it does before you start editing source code. You want to start off slowly.
https://twitter.com/LinuxParadise
http://linuxparadise.wordpress.com
https://github.com/paradiseOffice/sandbox_and_programs.git
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: