Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first experience of Windows 8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: My first experience of Windows 8 Reply with quote

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually made me lol.
Well done! Very Happy
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, you searched on Google for a browser. Google are obviously going to put their browser first... it's even in the 'sponsored' box...

Although you basically summed up why I found Windows 8 to be less than worthless. I'll be using Windows 7 for some time to come, I feel.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bing Is Not Google Smile
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Bing to search because it minimised the amount of work I required IE to actually do. Had I gone to google.co.uk first, it would require an additional step and I wasn't sure IE could handle it! Laughing

johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I like the user name; Janus was the Roman god who looked both ways at the same time - seemed rather appropriate.
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Bing Is Not Google Smile

Laughing Laughing I think I need to go to bed. I dunno why I said Google. Embarassed

I meant Bing, and my reasoning was that Chrome seems to be rapidly climbing the rankings when it comes to browsers... somehow, that translated differently between my brain and my fingertips. Embarassed

edit: Let's see if I can type this and make sense...

Been thinking about your comment on the first screen. Personally, I'm not too fussed about the 'dull' load screen... so long as I'm not staring at it for very long! Wink That said, I do like a verbose boot; it lets me know if there are any issues.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, that under virtualbox, the boot time is supposed to be faster than in reality. I found it about 20% slower to boot than Win 7 under virtualbox. Plus it froze on the black screen twice and went to that white one once then froze again. Out of 6 boot attempts, it loaded correctly twice. I even tried reinstalling, but had similar issues. Laughing

Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:
Thing is, that under virtualbox, the boot time is supposed to be faster than in reality. I found it about 20% slower to boot than Win 7 under virtualbox. Plus it froze on the black screen twice and went to that white one once then froze again. Out of 6 boot attempts, it loaded correctly twice. I even tried reinstalling, but had similar issues. Laughing

I've had a lot of trouble with Windows in VirtualBox. XP is OK, although boots slower than it does on slower hardware when it's got 'direct' access. Windows Vista is just a trainwreck from start to finish in a VM from what little experience of it I've had in said VM, which while it's nothing to write home about when not virtualised, it at least behaves itself... most of the time.

I admit I've not tried Windows 7 in a VM, but Windows 8 is a law unto itself. The Consumer and Release Previews basically seemed to work if they felt like it - for example, I couldn't get Windows 8 to boot in a VM without some oddball tweaks (none of which I can remember right now, but I'm sure I found them floating 'round the 'net) but a colleague couldn't get it to work at all.

I've not tried the RTM version, despite Technet giving me access to it back in August because I don't feel like using a license key up (Microsoft removed the 30 days activation grace period in Windows 8 ) for an OS that I'm probably not going to bother actually using. As I - and others - have said in the past... I'm sure Windows 8 will be great on tablet PCs (I'm debating getting a Windows 8 RT tablet to play with) but on my desktop I don't want fingermarks on my screens... even if they were touchscreens, which they aren't.

Perhaps I'm too demanding? Confused
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Win7 virtualbox boots quicker than Win7 on the host hardware. Same with Win XP. never tried Vista. Have you enabled visualization acceleration on whatever cpu you are using? Or maybe its just cos I have an 8 core CPU and 16gb of ram. But then Win7 has access to that when it is booting not in a VM...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: