Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what the...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found in both linux and Windows that some motherboards take OS instructions re: power states to be more of an "If you would be so kind..." hint rather than a "Do this. Now." instruction. Wink

Except on Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge chips (which need the power saving features enabled to allow for multiplier overclocking) I do have a tendency to turn BIOS based CPU clock control/power saving off as it can be more trouble than its worth (see comment about Unreal Tournament engine games...)
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool n' quiet disabled. Cores up to full speed. Very Happy

Now if I can just get my graphics card to stop crashing...

It never ends...

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
el chapulín

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradigm Shifter wrote:
I do have a tendency to turn BIOS based CPU clock control/power saving off as it can be more trouble than its worth (see comment about Unreal Tournament engine games...)

I also disable it as I've had similar issues, I can see how it's important for laptop users but I prefer the "hot n noisy" approach... Surprised

heiowge, glad you got it sorted and that it wasn't the motherboard issue I suspected it might be.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks.

It does mean I'll have to think more carefully about tower position for air flow, but that's something I've had to consider for a few days now.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Shut down the PC, and it didn't. So I pressed the power button. For 20 bloody seconds. Nothing! Had to pull the power cord out in the end!

Any thoughts? Is it related? Shocked

Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unlikely that disabling Cool 'n' Quiet made the system suddenly decide that it doesn't want to turn off. However, put settings back the way they were and see if it still does it.

It it does, if you've got a spare PSU around, swap to it and see whether it continues to play silly-wossnames. I just received an RMA back this morning for a PSU that was making the system it was running randomly power on and off or refuse to power on or off. Was driving me up the wall, and proves that even quality kit can go wonky sometimes after running perfectly for a couple of years.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh it hasn't done it since. Maybe it was just the PC having a bad day and moaning that I'll been lobotomising it again. Twisted Evil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: