Custom icon sets and themes

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Custom icon sets and themes

Postby heiowge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 pm

I want to create a custom icon set and theme for a KDE based distro.

Is there any chance of running an article on how to create the icons, the set of icons, and the theme? I'd prefer it be for KDE, but understand if you need the article to be used by most window managers.

Ta :D
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:37 pm

KDE icons are normally svg and, if you inspect /usr/share/ you will find the ranges that are available already.

So open inkscape and start creating.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi heiowge,

Would it be some of the more recent changes to the oxygen icon set (like the new folder icons) that are spurring your interest in this? If so, these are packaged (at least on openSUSE) in "oxygen-icon-theme-<KDE vrsn>-<pkg vrsn>.noarch.rpm" and for 128x128 and 256x256 sized icons: "oxygen-icon-theme-large-<KDE vrsn>-<pkg vrsn>.noarch.rpm".

These can be grabbed from a repository/installation disc and opened in your home directory for editing using the unrpm command. You can then replace the offending icons in the directories then repackage them in a tarball. This icon set in a tarball can then be installed by going to KDE's "System Settings" > "Common Appearance and Behaviour" section > "Application Appearance" button > "Icons" button in LHS scrolling pane and clicking on the "Install Theme File" button, at the bottom of the main window.

These two packages contain only png files, but I presume the icons started life somewhere as svg files, from which these png files were generated. There is a similarly named icon package with the word "scalable" in the name, which might be where the svg versions of the icons live, but I haven't checked this. You can always ask KDE development how they do this.

ATB,
Bruno
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:28 pm

It's not that at all. Sooner or later I want to have a go at spinning my own distro. I wanted to give it custom wallpaper, theme and icons. I figure I can make that and apply it when I'm at the point of doing the distro itself.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Cool idea. Sorry, misunderstood your original intentions. Have you played with SUSE studio? It can take the leg work out of building your own distro. Now that's what I'd love an article to cover.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:39 pm

I did spin a suse version. Problem is that a lot of the software I like doesn't appear in the suse repos. Plus I've been using mint / Ubuntu for about 5 years now and kinda like debs.

I was planning on a KDE distro based on that. With custom artwork and options installed at first boot. Lots of little tweaks, like py cashew to remove that piece of cr*p that is the now obsolete cashew (IMHO). :lol:

heiowge
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:06 pm

The Open Build Service builds debs as well as rpms - in fact, if you search for some software, you will find both openSUSE and Ubuntu versions on offer..
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am

I'd be surprised if you could find something not packaged for openSUSE, unless it is really esoteric.

Have a look at their software search page: http://software.opensuse.org/122/en to see if you can find what you need. Version 12.2 might still be a bit new for finding everything you need, so check 12.1 too. Click on "Show unstable packages" after your search as this also includes packages built by the community. These are usually fine, but haven't been tested by openSUSE.
Bruno
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs