Map viewer with tracks

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Map viewer with tracks

Postby rbooth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 am

I am looking for a program that will display OpenStreetMap maps and show track files from my GPS. I've figured out how to download the tracks using gpsbabel. Now I want to clean up the tracks. For instance, I notice a strange straight-line track segment whenever I turn on the GPS. I assume that this is due to the GPS recording points as it accesses more satellites and becomes more accurate in its positioning. I would like to remove these points from the track file. I note that the OpenStreetMap folks would like us to submit tracks, and many of the roads I drive in the outback of the state of Jefferson (southern Oregon / northern California) could use some repositioning. I've looked at several map programs. Some seem to require that the GPS is connected, which I don't need. I'd rather download the track file once and put the GPS away, then work with the track file offline. None of the programs I've looked at seem to meet my requirements (even with GPS connected). My current system is Ubuntu 12-04 with a locally modified version of IceWM as my window manager.
rbooth

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 am

The first 'straight line' is because when you turn the GPS on it registers it's last known location, then when it figures out where it is it draws a tack from the last known location to where you are now. The .gpx file is a text xml file which you can edit with a text editor and remove the first track waypoint.

Once you've uploaded the track to OpenStreetMap you can then edit the track on there.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby rbooth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 am

Thank you MartyBartfast for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, the three parts to your answer all missed the mark.

>> The first 'straight line' is because when you turn the GPS on it registers it's last known location, then when it figures out where it is it draws a tack from the last known location to where you are now.

The problem with that theory is that I was never at the bottom of the ravine. The coast range at the California / Oregon border consists typically of near vertical slopes from ridge top to ravine. One lane dirt roads are cut into the slope. I was parked on such a dirt road for the night and turned off the GPS. Turned it back on when I continued the drive. Now I've got a track segment that shows that I was down in the ravine, at nearly a right angle to the road (I have a topo map loaded in the GPS and you should see the topo lines one of the tracks crosses). I think I'd have remembered the climb if I'd been down there.

>> The .gpx file is a text xml file which you can edit with a text editor and remove the first track waypoint.

The waypoint file contains hundreds of waypoints, and somewhere in all those are a few that I want to delete. Also, I don't really want to submit the entire track, only the portion of the track once I hit BLM (Bureau of Land Management - outback) roads. I don't want to manually plot each of these hundreds of waypoints. I want a program that plots the entire list on a map. I envision a simple iterative process. I use a program that shows my waypoint file's contents superimposed on an OpenStreetMap map. Meanwhile, I've got the file containing the list open in a text editor. I delete some waypoints in the text editor and refresh the map program. If I like the results, I continue on deleting more waypoints. If I find I've deleted waypoints I didn't want to delete, I undo (The Geany text editor I use allows undo past save).

>>Once you've uploaded the track to OpenStreetMap you can then edit the track on there.

You are answering a question I didn't ask. I didn't ask how to use OpenStreetMap to edit my waypoints, I asked how to edit my waypoints locally.

Again, I appreciate you're attempt to help, but, unfortunately, nothing you wrote actually did help.
rbooth

Postby MartyBartfast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 am

then you probably want

http://www.qlandkarte.org/
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby rbooth » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 am

That is perfect! Thanks.
rbooth

Return to Help!