Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft's new Service Conditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Microsoft's new Service Conditions Reply with quote

LXF Readers I have just part-read the new terms and conditions of use from Microsoft, delivered 11 Sept,2012, for the conditions of use of their software. I look forward to reading the comments in the next LXF mag
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LXF has nothing (or at least as little as possible) to do with M$, so I'm not Razz

Whatever which way M$ decides to change their terms and conditions, OSS (and Linux in particular) will benefit Very Happy
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the OP is referring to that clause which is supposed to forbid class actions against Microsoft. I'd be surprised if such a restriction in a EULA could be binding.
The GPLv3 is a much better license. Smile
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Presumably the OP is referring to that clause which is supposed to forbid class actions against Microsoft. I'd be surprised if such a restriction in a EULA could be binding.
The GPLv3 is a much better license. Smile

Many companies are adding that - Sony, Valve, EA... I'm sure there are more. I doubt the legality of it, but I'm not lawyer, so have no idea really what wrangling they may or may not do to (attempt to) enforce that EULA clause.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fairly simple: "you accepted the EULA, so you can't sue us" Well, in the US perhaps, but the EU is a whole different matter Razz Remember, there's no such thing as a "software patent" in the EU, despite what many American S/W companies want you to believe... Evil or Very Mad
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the USA, but the idea that anyone can deny you from resorting to a court is not just astonishing, but fundamentally wrong, a denial of a basic civil right. It is attempting to put the company above courts and justice - like contempt of court. Even the Prime Minister would be rapped for that.

One of the bases of civilisation surely is the ability to ask peers and/or "elders" to intervene in a dispute. It is for them to decide it there is any case to answer. That trumps anything else written or spoken.

I would expect a UK court to brush aside any such nonsense with hardly a comment, whether previously "agreed" by the parties or not. This is made more explicit by the concept of "unfair clauses" in contracts.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: