lamp-server^

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

lamp-server^

Postby Johnnie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Help please. I made a major boo boo. As per the web site "How-to Geek" I typed onto my command line as root "apt-get install lamp-server^" . The install didn't complete So I decided it would be a good idea to remove it. I typed "apt-get remove lamp-server^" . When I rebooted no video would come up. I tried re-installing and repairing the distribution. I have been running ubuntu 12.04 from your magazine for about two weeks and was switching to Linux. I also tried several other distributions with the same results. I was able at one point to get into a root terminal but it wouldn't let me on-line (I was root) and when I tried to cat or vi to look at config files the system wouldn't let me. I can look at log files. I am using a dual boot Acer laptop model aspire 5736z-4460. I was able to load the ubuntu 12.04 on a Windows 7 VirtualBox. It runs fine.
Thank you for your help.

John
Johnnie

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:19 pm

The quickest way is to re-install, but Nelz will be here any second to tell you you don't have to. In a way, he's right, but given your limited level of expertise you'd spend many frustrating hours finding out how to mend stuff. However, it does teach you a lot about Linux and its workings, so that decision is yours ;)

My advise: re-install and do your tinkering in a VirtualBox environment (VB is also available for Linux, no problem running a Linux VB on Linux itself!) so if it breaks, it won't affect your normal desktop environment.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

REINSTALL DOESN'T WORK

Postby Johnnie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 am

I tried to reinstall with several different distributions. None of them will lite up the display. Windows seven works as does virtualbox with ubuntu.. Distros are OK
Johnnie

Postby guy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:48 am

According to the Ubuntu documentation at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP you need to:

First install tasksel:
sudo apt-get install tasksel

and then use tasksel to install the LAMP stack:
sudo tasksel install lamp-server

It also telly you how to uninstall, although that may not clean up after a messed-up install. May be safer to reinstall Ubuntu.

Note that when I googled "lamp-stack", this was the top hit. Google is your friend.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

not lamp

Postby Johnnie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:07 pm

I apologize if I wasn't clear. Installing and removing lamp caused the problem. The real problem is that when I try to re-install Ubuntu I cannot get video.
Thanks for your help.

John :?
Johnnie

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Right then. Try this, boot into Linux, log in as your normal user and assuming you're dropped on a commandline:
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install gdm gnome-core xserver-xorg-core
Enter your password on request. The above command will install the X11 Window system, which is just a official name for the GUI ;) It'll pull in a number of dependencies and will ask you to confirm if you want to install those too. Answer affirmative then. If it fails because there's no internet connection, try to establish one with
sudo ifup eth0
Again, give your password on request. If that fails, it'll tell you why it failed, most likely the lack of a driver. If you get this far, report back with the exact error notification. When it all works and the packages are installed, try starting the GUI with
startx
When that works, reboot into Linux again. You now should have a graphical environment...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:20 pm

Tasksel should only ever be used for installing, never removing software, as it will install the package and all dependencies (unless they are already installed) whereas in removal mode it will remove the package and all of its dependencies, even if other packages depend on them.
It is largely redundant now, as apt-get will often have bundles too.
So sudo apt-get install lamp-server will install the same bundle as tasksel.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!