Looking for weather applet

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Looking for weather applet

Postby FranBlakes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
and looking for a weather applet that uses the codes like UKEN4605 as used on weather.com for more accurate forecast of the weather.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
FranBlakes

Postby catgate » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 pm

I think the first thing needed for your objective is more accurate weather. :roll:
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 pm

I have also looked for a weather app for the panel, but have now given up and I just use the BBC site for Oxford. It is a lot more detailed than it used to be and extremely good.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729

The xfce weather applet does not seem to work properly, as far as I can see, in gnome, or not in 10.04 which I also still use. I have also added my nearest available site to the date/clock applet in gnome 2, and that tells me the temp, wind direction and speed, and sunrise/sunset times, but no forecast.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm

catgate wrote:I think the first thing needed for your objective is more accurate weather. :roll:

Our weather is extremely accurate, the rain hits me every time :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby catgate » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm

For short term forecasting we use "BBC Rainfall Radar".
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
It is possible to predict for the next few hours if you live in the path of the prevailing wind.

Otherwise
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?acti ... free;sess=
is not too bad.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:25 am

The first of those links isn't going to help for very long, as the met office says it will remove the 'page' later this year - a threat which has to be taken seriously, as they've already cut off some the other pages of that series.
I don't find the 'new' page nearly as helpful, in that I haven't yet found a convenient way of playing the last 6 hours (as the current one does)
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 am

dandnsmith wrote:The first of those links isn't going to help for very long, as the met office says it will remove the 'page' later this year - a threat which has to be taken seriously, as they've already cut off some the other pages of that series.
I don't find the 'new' page nearly as helpful, in that I haven't yet found a convenient way of playing the last 6 hours (as the current one does)

Yes I was aware of the promised "improvement" and, having looked at it, I have started sticking pins in an effigy of the Director General and hoping his rabbits die and he can not sell their cage.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 am

Having tried the new BBC thing, over the last week or so, I have come to the conclusion that it has quite a lot going for it, once one has become familiar with its workings and what it does using the various display options.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Help!