Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fstab Problem! Can't access my system, emergency mode only
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah, thank you Dutch_Master, Ram and of course Nelz who's had some fine patience with this rather newbie!!

Now, things have gotten a little better, hopefully I can confirm it later with more testing:
Ok. The last time I was forced to login in emergency mode it showed that I had 4 (or more) fstab swap files and was asked to choose one... I chose the one with the latest change date, (thinking it was the one I edited correctly) with the others eliminated automatically. I then shutdown

So after a reboot I was asked to login normally again, as the main user . That's when I got the warning message mentioned above. So, I tried from root and fortunately was able to enter my desktop with complete UI functionallity ok.
Since from the beginning problems arose from fstab, I decided to look it up ....to my surprise and due to my ignorance, during the last edit I had accidentally typed "shutdown" on the fstab file, thinking I had already exited the file; so, the only text in the fstab was "shutdown"!, nothing else!
So, I then looked up for a backup fstab file I had made way earlier, before I even came to the forums. Fortunately I was able to find it. Both the "new" modified, aka screwed-up fstab, and the old one were opened with kwrite. I then selected+copied all the contents of the backup and pasted over the contents of the "new" fstab. I then deleted, as suggested by Nelz the problematic line containing windows/ D...

I rebooted and now enter as main user password and can finally enter my work desktop normally!!!

I am not sure if everything is ok, so I will do some testing and then see what the external USB HD is behaving like.. and start over again if I need fixing (most likely) the external drive issues, but with Nelzs' early suggestions...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Will stay tuned! Thanks again everybody!! Hopefully I'll be able to leave you off the hook on this!!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! No! No!

Better late than never, I wouldn't want to disappoint Razz
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: