LXF161 Data Encryption

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF161 Data Encryption

Postby madwoollything » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 am

I've been following the article on Truecrypt in trying to make a portable encrypted USB stick which contains executables for both Windows and Linux. The Windows install seems pretty straight forward and there are plenty of 'how tos' on the web showing screen shots of how this is done. (Wine does not appear to work with truecrypt.exe returning a 'file not found' so I'll need to find a Windows system :-()

It does not seem quite so easy to repeat the same steps and create a portable Linux version. I've followed the steps in the article and have extracted the tarball in the /tmp and unpacked it. This creates a 'usr' folder and not a 'Linux Truecrypt' folder as described in the article. I've copied /usr to the usb stick but the only executable is /usr/bin/truecrypt-uninstall.sh. Nothing else appears to launch. What am I doing wrong?

How do you create a portable Linux version of truecrypt on a usb stick?
Thanks
madwoollything

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Did you run the truecrypt setup program after extracting the tarball?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby madwoollything » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:33 am

nelz wrote:Did you run the truecrypt setup program after extracting the tarball?

Yes ..... having looked again I'm still stumped
madwoollything

Postby pfnorris » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:12 pm

I copied the whole /usr structure that I extracted from the tarball onto a small EXT2 partition on my stick. Then make /usr/bin/linuxtruecrypt (on the stick) executable and run it from there. Works for me.

Phil
pfnorris

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs