Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linuxmint 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Linuxmint 13 Reply with quote

I have just installed mint on my little Aspire ZA3 and it is so much faster to boot than Precise Pangolin and I haven't had to play about getting anything to work. XFCE is a very nippy desktop and I like it very much.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mint 13 KDE, which I have tried on my test laptop, runs quite well as well. It's certainly a lot better than the openSUSE12.2 RC I tried at the weekend.
It is interesting to note (to me anyway) that Mint KDE isn't simply a rehash of Kubuntu, but built from the original Ubuntu with KDE parts added as the Mint team want them.
I did try Kubuntu as well when it first came out. It seems to me that Mint might have benefited from longer time to release, perhaps it works better because some KDE bugs have been fixed.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon with the KDE desktop jammed on top. Do you think that Mint 13 KDE would be better, or is it not really worth a switch?

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be inclined to assume that there isn't much difference, the packages must come from the same source, but then, I don't know as I haven't tried that way of going about it.
Surely the important question is whether or not you are happy with your set up? If you are then there's not much point in going to the trouble of changing it.
Hopper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Minty bit stronger Reply with quote

I was really pleased with mint kde and it worked flawlessly, with a more recent version of kde than kubuntu. I'm just trying Cinnamon right now and it's equally as good but somehow feels more intuitive and I find the font rendering in documents far superior. With the kde I find the fonts in documents are slightly less defined than in Cinnamon or other gnome based desktops. I've no idea why but perhaps its just down to my proprietary nvidia drivers
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use Ubuntu 10.04 but have tried all the newer versions as they arrive. I also always try Mint, but have always found it to run slower than Ubuntu, version to version. Never was this more obvious than using Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13, the latter of which was a bit like swimming through treacle; completely useless to me.

I haven't tried any of the other DE versions of mint 13 yet but did look at Mint 12 LXDE, which was OK, but no better than Lubuntu 11.10, so I did not bother to install it on a main machine.

Ubuntu 10.04 is still the best Ubuntu so far in my opinion, but we will see what happens in the future when it loses its support.
Debian Acolyte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apparent meaning of the post is the system declines in quality with every release. Yet you are still using an older version, hoping Ubuntu will reverse the trend and improve in the future. Shocked That is determination. Confused
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian Acolyte wrote:
The apparent meaning of the post is the system declines in quality with every release. Yet you are still using an older version, hoping Ubuntu will reverse the trend and improve in the future. Shocked That is determination. Confused

Isn't that how most Windows users do things? Wink

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Debian Acolyte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
I thought Windows users put up with the bugs and low quality performance, because they believe Windows is the only operating system.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian Acolyte wrote:

Newer doesn't always mean better and there is a old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So, I've got about 8 months before I change my disto (or DE) as I know Ubuntu wont reverse their trend.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
Debian Acolyte wrote:
The apparent meaning of the post is the system declines in quality with every release. Yet you are still using an older version, hoping Ubuntu will reverse the trend and improve in the future. :shock: That is determination. :?

Newer doesn't always mean better and there is a old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So, I've got about 8 months before I change my disto (or DE) as I know Ubuntu wont reverse their trend.

Likewise with me.

Xubuntu will probably be my refuge, if I stay with the Ubuntu family. But if I try something else, who knows?
Debian Acolyte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two posts are completely correct in regards to shiny new things. Without a doubt, newer definitely does not mean better.

I have a different mentality though. Instead of staying with the sinking ship for two or three years before moving on, I prefer to start searching early and jump ship as soon as I find something better. I am not sure if that makes me wise or impatient. Laughing
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian Acolyte wrote:
I prefer to start searching early and jump ship as soon as I find something better. I am not sure if that makes me wise or impatient.

Just makes you a live rat Wink and in company of the rest of us rats Cool

Enjoy the Choice Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: