Microsoft OpenOffice

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft OpenOffice

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:18 pm

I was somewhat intrigued to read the following in the magazine which is my employer's in-house publication (this must be the fifth issue I've seen in four years, a rare privilege for a yard-monkey like me):

Group I.T. and Helpdesk have launched self help guides on iConnect for colleagues in branches that use Microsoft's OpenOffice, as well as general Helpdesk queries.
The OpenOffice package was adopted [...] some time ago and has over 12,000 users across the organisation. In the latest version, Microsoft has added more useful features as well as improvements to the user experience.

And so on.

We have recently had Windows 7 terminals installed and I can't say I've seen OpenOffice launched on one yet, but the older XP terminals used to launch something from the 2.x series with the old blue and white Sun/OOo splash screen.
Since when did Microsoft launch a version of OpenOffice? There's nothing to be seen about such a thing on the first few pages of a FWSE search.
All very odd.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 pm

It just a ploy to get users to use OOo, believing they are using a MS product or dumb I.T. staff.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby guy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Tell them that Microsoft have upgraded and relaunched it as LibreOffice and recommend you upgrade your system as soon as possible. :)
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Might be this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

No because:

Rhakios wrote: The OpenOffice package was adopted [...] some time ago and has over 12,000 users across the organisation.

and

the older XP terminals used to launch something from the 2.x series with the old blue and white Sun/OOo splash screen.

If I get the chance to get at a terminal some time, I will have a look at what version is actually there now, but some of us have to do some work so that others can stare open-mouthed and gormless at their screens.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Nuke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:10 pm

They like many people just assume that everything to do with computers is the work of Microsoft.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Nuke wrote:They like many people just assume that everything to do with computers is the work of Microsoft.

You mean it isn't??? :shock:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 am

heiowge wrote:
Nuke wrote:They like many people just assume that everything to do with computers is the work of Microsoft.

No, some of it is to do with Apple..........
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:33 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:
heiowge wrote:

No, some of it is to do with Apple..........

Nah. That's just a rumour, and these tablet things will never catch on...You'll be saying that this is the year of the Linux desktop next.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:You'll be saying that this is the year of the Linux desktop next.

WOOAAAHH!! Let's not go that far!!! :shock:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Other OS