Olympic opening

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Olympic opening

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:52 am

If you missed the show, you'd feel stuffed, it was brilliant. Great they honoured Sir Tim Berners-Lee for his role in making this (the forum, et all) possible :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 am

Missed the beginning due to rather better show in BBC4 and missed the end due to falling asleep (Turkmenistan is the last nation I can recall coming out).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby heiowge » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 am

I refused to watch that great big money pit.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:40 am

heiowge wrote:I refused to watch that great big money pit.

I didn't refused to watch, it just didn't interest me, not even when my son said the Sex Pistols were on.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Ram wrote:...not even when my son said the Sex Pistols were on.

Not really, there was ~10sec clip of "God Save The Queen" with a bit of Archive film of them. I think John Lydon was asked to go on it but refused.

BTW I thought it was great!
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby leke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:41 pm

I watched it by chance, (I couldn't be arsed to move off the couch) and thought it was very good up until the the 'youth' part. I was really impressed they got the queen to play her own role.

I finally dragged myself away after Finland came out.
leke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:27 pm

It was Pretty Vacant, I don't think it would have been considered appropriate to play God Save the Queen, it might have woken her up!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 pm

nelz wrote:It was Pretty Vacant, I don't think it would have been considered appropriate to play God Save the Queen, it might have woken her up!

According to my wife they played both, GSTQ first then in the 70s bit Pretty Vacant

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Ram wrote:
nelz wrote:It was Pretty Vacant, I don't think it would have been considered appropriate to play God Save the Queen, it might have woken her up!

According to my wife they played both, GSTQ first then in the 70s bit Pretty Vacant

Yep just checked with my better half and she confirmed they played both.
The reason GSTQ stuck in my mind is that they played that and "Relax", both of which were banned by the BBC at the time of their release, but are now apparently seen to be an iconic part of our heritage !
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:25 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:both of which were banned by the BBC at the time of their release, but are now apparently seen to be an iconic part of our heritage !

Being banned by the BBC or the courts is one of the surest ways of becoming an iconic part of our heritage. Or that's what Lady Chatterley told me.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Rhakios wrote:
MartyBartfast wrote:both of which were banned by the BBC at the time of their release, but are now apparently seen to be an iconic part of our heritage !

Being banned by the BBC or the courts is one of the surest ways of becoming an iconic part of our heritage. Or that's what Lady Chatterley told me.

Shouldn't that be ' taught me '

Ram
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Yes I agree that £9-24bln on 2 weeks of running, jumping, sitting and throwing is excessive. Yes I think it's pretty sickening that foreign firms tie up everything in a 100sq miles of London (including toilet dispensers in local restaurants), then take the profits and run them through off-shore tax havens.

BUT. It's here, and damnit, if I have paid £150-£400 I'm going to enjoy some of it. Looking forward to the Basketball, Boxing and Cycling (don't mention today).

Started watching last night at 6pm, was a little worried, looked a little Am-Dram, the set lifted from Watership Down. Ahh the Red Arrows, something iconic, good.

9pm. What the hell is this. I was transfixed for the next 4 hours.
Yes there were cockups and sections I didn't appreciate, but speaking with others we all liked different aspects.

In short. Moments of cheese, followed by epic volumes of British madness, followed by moments of brilliance.

Surely the opening ceremony was our first gold :)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Did not watch no idiot box :shock: and using a GSM dongle for connectivity too expensive to watch on the net contented myself with the CBC radio coverage they don't have the rights here CTV does so they are limited on what they can actually broadcast.But being in the over the hill group don't really care who wins what :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Ram wrote:
Rhakios wrote:

We weren't that intimate!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Rhakios wrote:
Ram wrote:
Rhakios wrote:

We weren't that intimate!

Not what I was thinking, more it's an old story that you learnt from rather then spoken to and told.

Ram
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic