Graphics card

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:02 pm

It all depends on the vendor.
I have an AMD based motherboard that supplies VGA and DVI simultaneously, but I have had motherboards that don't, even though they have both connectors.
Most PCIe cards support 2 outputs these days, DVI, or HDMI and VGA usually. Some also offer TVout, some will output DVI and VGA from one DVI port with the correct adaptor cable.
Some will actually support 3 monitors.
So you need to read the manual.
The best way to get the specs is to download the manual from the vendor's website.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 am

Paradigm Shifter wrote:nwdeveloper, if you want a 'AMD' built card, buy a Sapphire, that's the closest thing nowadays - Sapphire are the company that have built all of the old "Built by ATi" cards. :)

The "reference" design will be the same regardless of the sticker stuck on the top... the only ones that may not 'just work like any other' are non-reference designs where they can either be over-the-top designs for quiet/cooling/overclocking (pick one) or where they've cut corners on the power circuitry to make manufacture cheaper (XFX are particularly keen on the latter, so I don't recommend them)...

I agree... mine is a sapphire card and works like a dream.
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby nwdeveloper » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Crikey - nearly five months has passed between thinking about it and actually doing something. Although eventually I was tipped into it by getting more and more crashes on the old hardware. So, I ended up buying

Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard
with
Intel i5 3570K CPU

Absolutely cracking for an ease of setup point of view. I connected one monitor via a DVI-D port (it doesn't do DVD-I) and the other via VGA.

Installed Fedora 17. By default, the monitor displays are mirrored (same content on each screen), but a one click in the display applet turns mirroring off, and you can switch the left/right order of the displays.

I remember doing it with the Matrox card all that time ago and the setup took a few days of kernel building, module inserting and Xorg.conf-ing.

So, if anyone wants a dual head setup, I can recommend one of these boards. Hope that's worth necro-ing a thread for, but thought it was polite to come back on it....
nwdeveloper

Postby dhester » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Thats the board I have with my Intel i5 3570K, great at overclocking. I originally put an AMD HD7770 in the machine but had trouble with the drivers so put that card into one of my kids machine and then put a Nvidia GTX650 ti in. Very pleased with motherboard, processor and graphics card.

Only problem now is I can't decide which I like more my super fast Intel based machine with 8gig of memory or my new Raspberry pi v2 with 512mb!!

I now use the Intel machine to edit video and digital photos and it handles everything fine.

I would recommend the Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard with Intel i5 3570K CPU to anyone.
dhester

Previous

Return to Hardware