Hardware rant

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Hardware rant

Postby heiowge » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Bah! ASUS!!!

In argument with ASUS over 1 laptop that keeps crashing windows explorer every time my wife looks at pictures. Many many phonecalls and Asus trying to blame windows and I find out the culprit is a file called ... ASUSWSShellext64.dll Something related to one of their programs. So I'm fighting Asus over that.

And....

My eeepc battery charger has gone. It's in warantee, like the other machine. Problem is that they want to take the eeepc, replace the charger, wipe the hard drive and reset it to factory settings. I don't want them to have the machine. I just want a replacement charger. The fight continues... :x
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Let the steam flow :D

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Steam for Linux? ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Heiowge

Under the Sale of Goods act, your contract of sale is with the vendor, not the manufacturer (if they are not the same person/company as the vendor). This means that it is the duty of the retailer to honour any warranty, regardless of whether or not they need to chase their supplier of any goods a purchaser returns as a result of defect. The act (which has been updated [in some form that I can't remember] since 1979) requires that goods must be free from defect (fair wear and tear excluded in the case of a return), be of merchantable quality and be fit for their intended purpose at the time of purchase and for (at least) the first year since purchase. This minimum of the first year covered by warranty is a matter of law, not some nicety on the part of the vendor/manufacturer. In addition, the act states that goods must not be defective as part of manufacture and/or design and that claims on this aspect of the warranty are open forever.

In a dispute/claim on warranty: During the first 6 months, the onus is on the vendor to prove that goods supplied are up to standard, in the second 6 months, the onus moves to the purchaser to prove that they are not. In the case of the crashing laptop, it is demonstrable that the goods are not up to standard as they fail to perform their intended function (viewing pictures). The shifting of the blame to Windows is wrong as presumably the laptop was supplied with Windows and therefore constitutes a component of the goods. The same applies to any additions/modifications made by Asus to the Windows installation. If Windows is at fault (although you have identified an asus dll file as the culprit) then given the performance of the goods, one could argue that they are not of merchantable quality and that they are defective as a result of design/manufacture (and I'd like to be in the public gallery for that day in court).

On the EEEPC's battery charger issue, are you able to test (by multimeter, say) that the charger is dead? If so, I'm sure that it is reasonable to expect a replacement component, rather than whole system, particularly as in this case the components of the system are easily separable. After all, if one bought a new car and the windscreen wiper broke a week later, demanding a whole new car to fix the wiper would seem unreasonable.

If you get no joy on the EEEPC, can you swap out your HD for a blank/other one and send the whole system off? It's not what you should have to do, but it may be the path of least resistance.

Good luck,
Bruno
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Bruno. I'll give the issue with the crashing PC a look see.

As for the charger, I told them straight that they could have the charger but not the laptop and they finally accepted and collected the charger last week.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am

PC crash problem solved. Asus sent us a link to an updated version of their web storage software. Installing corrected the fault. I'd have liked to not have it installed, but since laptop is now functioning, the wife doesn't want to rock the boat.

Got a replacement charger for the netbook yesterday. Works great. Didn't send them in my netbook, just the charger!

Victory!!!

heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:44 am

Good news mate. Don't forget to send them an invoice for your time if you feel that you have been unduly mucked about. 8)
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:53 pm

heiowge wrote:PC crash problem solved. Asus sent us a link to an updated version of their web storage software. Installing corrected the fault. I'd have liked to not have it installed, but since laptop is now functioning, the wife doesn't want to rock the boat.

Excellent. I had been wondering about the outcome of this, which you originally raised here.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 pm

I only wish they'd put the techie on the line first time, rather than the muppet who tried to sell me it being a Windows issue, rather than one caused by Asus.

heiowge
LXF regular

Re: Hardware rant

Postby el chapulín » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:59 pm

heiowge wrote:Many many phonecalls and Asus trying to blame windows and I find out the culprit is a file called ... ASUSWSShellext64.dll Something related to one of their programs. So I'm fighting Asus over that.

The first thing I do with a new PC/laptop/netbook, is purge all of the OEM shitware utilities - that's if it's for family/friends... The vast bulk of the OEM's software is utterly useless and 3rd party shell extensions are notorious for causing the "windows explorer" shell to crash.

If it's me I nuke windows and install a decent OS...
el chapulín

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

el chapulín wrote:If it's me I nuke windows and install a decent OS...

I always remove the default install anyway. Windows is never the same once it's had bloatware on it. That and it's usually partitioned up terribly. Why, on a 500GB drive would you want a 100GB Windows partition and a 400GB hidden 'recovery' partition? :?
Paradigm Shifter

Postby heiowge » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:53 pm

el chapulín wrote:The first thing I do with a new PC/laptop/netbook, is purge all of the OEM shitware utilities - that's if it's for family/friends... The vast bulk of the OEM's software is utterly useless and 3rd party shell extensions are notorious for causing the "windows explorer" shell to crash.

If it's me I nuke windows and install a decent OS...

That's the problem. It was my wife's laptop, not mine. My netbook never booted to windows. I wiped that crap off before it loaded.

And it was uninstalling the OEM utils that caused the problem. Leaving them in place fixed it. :shock:

heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Hardware