Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

formating hd with qtparted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laminalinux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

hello there
i have inherited a 120GB hard disk which has 6 partitions(why?!!)
i want to install knoppix 3.6 or 3.7
i have been trying to partition the hard disk by using qtparted on knoppix live cd

however i get various problems such as 'disk is already mounted' which it is not and even umount has no effect (can not even mount the partitions)
so i can not even delete the partition

is there a command line way of frying the whole dist to 1s and 0s so i can do a clean install??

cheers in advanced

me
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: RE: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

Code:
cfdisk -z /dev/hda

will start with a blank partition table. Then just create what you want. The original partitioning is not destroyed until you select Write.
laminalinux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: RE: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

i would like to destroy!! all the partitioning if i can and then set up a swap and 2 others

how would i do that
thanx for the quick reply
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: RE: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

I thought I'd just told you that!
laminalinux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: RE: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

you are right i am dumb

sorry!! re read 20s after post so feeling a plonker
tytyty

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

*boring*

Is it time to go back to school soon?
mnbmnm

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: formating hd with qtparted Reply with quote

Anarhistu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: I need some help here Reply with quote

I just bought a pc with linux on it and I wanna install windows but I cannot .. Can someone help me ? Please ... Thanks ..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: