Root password

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Root password

Postby Johnnie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:00 pm

I installed the Ubuntu 12.04 from LXF159 and ran into a problem with the root password when I tried to use the command line and SU. It kept telling me my password was invalid. The Ubuntu documentation on 12.04 says the first user password defined on installation will be the root password. I have no problem logging on to the system with this password (meaning there are no typos). Any help on this or is my next step to re-install?
Johnnie

Postby towy71 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 pm

you need to use sudo rather than su http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Thank you

Postby Johnnie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 am

Thanks for the quick info. Guess I'm too old. :lol:
Johnnie

Re: Thank you

Postby lok1950 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:50 am

Johnnie wrote:Thanks for the quick info. Guess I'm too old. :lol:

We all have our senior moments Johnnie :roll: Ubuntu does not put a real root account on their distro so if you are used to using su or su - for root access it's not there :roll:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03 am

But is if you sudo su

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Ram wrote:But is if you sudo su
Still uses the user password, though, not a root password.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm

ajgreeny wrote:

Only the once then you have full root access as far as I can tell until you close the terminal it was issued from.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Ram wrote:
ajgreeny wrote:

Only the once then you have full root access as far as I can tell until you close the terminal it was issued from.
We're probably splitting hairs here, but it is still not really using the root account, as far as I'm aware, but just raising the user to temporary root permissions.

I agree, however, it can be useful if you're doing something that requires continual re-entry of the sudo password, as that terminal retains root permissions until closed; one reason why using sudo su is rather frowned on by ubuntuforums, if not quite banned from being talked about.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Root Password

Postby Johnnie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 pm

This discussion brings up the question of the root password. Once I am in root and change the password using passwd XXXX does this also change the user password. And if I were back in user mode and changed the password of the initial user would the root password change?
Johnnie

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:58 pm

No and no. Each user has their own password, and only root is able to change the password of anyone else.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GregS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46 am

ajgreeny wrote:
Ram wrote:
ajgreeny wrote:

We're probably splitting hairs here, but it is still not really using the root account, as far as I'm aware, but just raising the user to temporary root permissions.

I agree, however, it can be useful if you're doing something that requires continual re-entry of the sudo password, as that terminal retains root permissions until closed; one reason why using sudo su is rather frowned on by ubuntuforums, if not quite banned from being talked about.

AFAIK from my irregular interactions with the big 'U',
Code: Select all
sudo bash
provides the same utility (ie remains as root for the duration of the session...)
GregS

Postby ajgreeny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Yes, so does
sudo -i
but it still only uses the user password, not a root password, and raises the user to root permissions.

Either way, as I said before, I think we are just splitting hairs with this discussion.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 pm

ajgreeny wrote:Yes, so does
sudo -i
but it still only uses the user password, not a root password, and raises the user to root permissions.

Either way, as I said before, I think we are just splitting hairs with this discussion.

Hair splitting maybe but I think the OP miss used su instead of using sudo.

Ram
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs