RE: Linux kernel and DRM

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:19 pm

pastychomper wrote:
roseway wrote:Don't worry, he's raised it in the Debian forums, and they're an argumentative lot ... :D

No they're not! :twisted:

Oh, yes they are....(continue ad infinitum)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Ombra » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 pm

towy71 wrote:Ombra what on earth are you on about? Are you chasing shadows?

http://trisquel.info/en/forum/re-trisqu ... -computing

So it would seem. Not even a Stallman approved kernel version is free of this Trusted Computing rot!
Ombra

Postby Debian Acolyte » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 am

roseway wrote:Don't worry, he's raised it in the Debian forums, and they're an argumentative lot so I expect it will get a good airing there. :D

Generated very little discussion. After six posts, the OP was branded a troll. 8)
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby einonm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Ombra, security is all about trust and you appear not to trust anything or anyone else.

So that leaves you with the only option of trusting yourself, and doing the grunt work of analyzing kernel source / configs to make sure that you trust what is running on your system (a feature that is only possible with open source, btw).

But instead of getting down to the task, you seem to be saying that it's too hard for a 'newbie', and painting yourself into a bit of a logical corner. You also list quite a random set of software that I can only presume you've heard bad things about on forums (uboot, really?) without checking them out for yourself.

So, please have at least one attempt at following some of the suggestions given here before posting - I think you will then find the comments given more helpful than frustrating (for everyone involved).

For building your own kernel, and understanding what the config file options are all about I can heartily recommend the book Linux kernel In A Nutshell (free in PDF format at http://www.kroah.com/lkn/)
einonm

Postby Ombra » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm

nelz wrote:Intel is one of the major contributors to the kernel, most of it related to hardware support. Even the one item that is vaguely DRM-related is only support for specific Intel business hardware and not affecting user-owners.

Most importantly - even the parts you object too are open source and therefore completely under your control on any computer you administer.

"Intel is one of the major contributorsto the kernel"
I did not know that...but it does explain much.

I looked into opensource:
http://www.opensource.org
I guess this somehow makes Trusted Computing automatically 'kosher' to your thinking...I am not convinced.

I can only state again what should be obvious, until I learn how to erase this stuff it most definitely ain't under my control. As I see it, the coming timeline breaks down like this. I get PC, figure out how to install XP Pro on one HD, and who knows what Linux distro on the other. It looks like I got no choice but to use distro having my much hated Trusted Computing rot, so absolute best I can hope for is to find distro with it not enabled. I figure it to take about a year for me to become as comfortable with Linux as I am with XP. At that point, I will have to begin teaching myself how to reconfigure/rebuild kernel. No telling how long that will take. Only when that is done will I really have "control". Until then I got no control, no choice...unless you think 'take it or leave it' qualifies.
Ombra

Postby towy71 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 pm

You are not using Linux because of your paranoia about DRM but are using XP. I'm sorry but I am now lockin this thread because it is pointless trying convince you of our good intentions
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:26 am

Ombra wrote:
nelz wrote:Intel is one of the major contributors to the kernel, most of it related to hardware support. Even the one item that is vaguely DRM-related is only support for specific Intel business hardware and not affecting user-owners.

"Intel is one of the major contributorsto the kernel"
I did not know that...but it does explain much.

Nice one, by removing all context from that quote you have managed to completely change its implication.

Ombra wrote:I can only state again what should be obvious, until I learn how to erase this stuff it most definitely ain't under my control.

But learning to do it is completely under your control. As is convincing yourself that it is too difficult for you. It goes like this

Install a distro you like
Install the kernel source package
Read up on recompiling a kernel
Run make menuconfig and disable the options you hate enough to create a five page thread over but not enough to read a one page howto
Compile the kernel
Reboot
If it works, great. If not, reboot back to your original kernel, run menuconfig again and tweak the settings until it does.

Ombra wrote:I will have to begin teaching myself how to reconfigure/rebuild kernel. No telling how long that will take.

As long as it takes you to get around to trying to do it, plus a few hours - so you're probably right in your estimation of a year.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Previous

Return to Help!