delay in Raspberry Pi.

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Ram » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Got a mail this morning to say mine had shipped, should have it by the end of the week... touch wood.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Jimmers » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Got a mail 3 hours ago "Your Raspberry Pi has now been shipped,
deliveries to the UK expected to take between 2 - 5 working days
Jimmers
Jimmers

They're here!

Postby 2tux-zx7r » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Hang in there boys - it's well worth it :D
2tux-zx7r

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Anyone want to play with mine? I've had no time to play with it at all :cry:
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:02 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:Anyone want to play with mine? I've had no time to play with it at all :cry:

Had mine a couple of weeks, now.

Tried out Debian (wheezy) and OpenELEC. Getting the video and sound options configured in Debian was a bit of a pain. Alsa support is, most definitely "alpha" and exceedingly flaky. Sound via HDMI is very hit-and-miss and there is a lot of noise on the analogue audio out.

Noticed that the Pi seems to mess up HDMI-CEC (SimpLink on LG or Anynet on Samsung). With the Pi plugged in I can't control my surround sound box from the TV (Both LG).

In use its really slow if you are used to a modern(ish) multi core desktop, but that is to be expected.

Now just need a bit of time to start doing some real tinkering.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Mines finally been sent.. hopefully here in time for the weekend..
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Jimmers » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Mine arrived exactly 20 mins ago, don't know when I will get a chance to play with it, as we have builders, plasterers in all weekend, looks like next weekend, but it just adds to the anticipation, had a look at the T-Shirt LOL, straight to bin.
Jimmers
Jimmers

Re: delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Ram » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Jimmers wrote:Mine arrived exactly 20 mins ago, don't know when I will get a chance to play with it, as we have builders, plasterers in all weekend, looks like next weekend, but it just adds to the anticipation, had a look at the T-Shirt LOL, straight to bin.

Snap... not that I waited 20 minutes to post... wfh so had other stuff to do.

T-Shirt bit thin but it'll do, summer just around the corner.

Now which SD card to buy

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:02 pm

T-Shirt? What T-Shirt? Where's mine??! :shock:
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Jimmers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Retrieved T Shirt from bin on the premise that Ram said "Summer just around the corner". We can only hope!!!!
Have got a Two hour window free of plasterers, so will give it a go and see what it looks like, running Debian, but will probably try other OS's, I have a 32gb card, is this a bit OTT.
Jimmers
Jimmers

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Why do you have to baby sit the plasterers? Can't you just sit in another room and bask in all the pi goodness?
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Jimmers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 pm

The broadband connection, is where the Plasterers are working,
and I have misplaced my Vodafone Dongle, and just at this moment my mother-in-law has just arrived unannounced with
the quote "Whats this mess all about". I feel a few beers are required (+ plus a taxi for the mother in law)
Jimmers
Jimmers

delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Jimmers » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Finally got to try the Raspberry Pi, what a disapointment nothing happened, following the instructions in LFX 159, nothing got as far as "You'll see a red power light next to the USB Connections, and shortly you will see some some flashing green lights appear, (Where???).
Tried re-installing Debian from the website, but no joy,
tomorrow I will visit my local Argos and purchase a 16gb Kingston flash drive, as I find I have more joy with them,
the one I have been trying is a (8gb Sanddisk.)

As always all Help, Ideas, Suggestions always appreciated
Jimmers
Jimmers

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:28 pm

There's a row of small LEds from the audio socket to the nearest corner of the board. the power LED is second from the socket (cunningly marked PWR).
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: delay in Raspberry Pi

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Jimmers wrote:Finally got to try the Raspberry Pi, what a disapointment nothing happened, following the instructions in LFX 159, nothing got as far as "You'll see a red power light next to the USB Connections, and shortly you will see some some flashing green lights appear, (Where???).
Tried re-installing Debian from the website, but no joy,
tomorrow I will visit my local Argos and purchase a 16gb Kingston flash drive, as I find I have more joy with them,
the one I have been trying is a (8gb Sanddisk.)

As always all Help, Ideas, Suggestions always appreciated

If you don't get a red led I say your power supply is insufficient, you should at least get a red led even which no storage attached.

I've used a very old cheap 4gig SD Card and a microSD ( got with my phone ) in an SD adaptor both worked, microSD appears faster.

Ram
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion