How to STOP Google&Bing changeing my language?Its ANNOYI

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How to STOP Google&Bing changeing my language?Its ANNOYI

Postby splash » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am

I arrived in Switzerland when i started in the French part ALL search results were in French,as i moved to the German part German :?
Then google didnt work at all,click on results got time out or problem loading page.Changed to Bing which dosnt have the choise of US,UK,Chine specific search as google so again all site in German :(

Then i went to the google android aps store to get instagram the page was in German

OK i found at the bottem a language change BUT HOW can i stop pages being displayed in the local language???????

I dont mean say a French site for French people i mean sites that start off as English language sites with translations into say French

Bings the worst.its now fast better than google recently but no way to tell it my first language is English :roll:
splash

Re: How to STOP Google&Bing changeing my language?Its AN

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm

splash wrote: my first language is English
Really? I didn't notice...

Google bases the language choice on location, so simply put: don't move! :evil: :roll: :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 pm

If you're logged into your Google account, you can set your preferred language in the language section of your settings.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 pm

If you don't want to log in, or don't have a Google account, then using https://www.google.com seems to override every other setting for me. Failing that, use NoScript to stop the scripting, see if that stops language auto-select.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby nelz » Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 pm

If he is trying to install software from Google Market/Play/Whateveritscalledthis week, he must have a Google account.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:42 am

nelz wrote:If he is trying to install software from Google Market/Play/Whateveritscalledthis week, he must have a Google account.

True. I got onto autopilot with that little addition. :oops:

Point about perhaps not wanting to log in to search still holds, though. :)
Paradigm Shifter

Postby guy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Check the url in the toolbar. Is it insisting on .fr or .ge? I sometimes want to choose between .uk and .com (USA). On my Android I have resorted to bookmarking each, as in http://www.google.co.uk/ and http://www.google.com (can't remember if the end slash matters), and Google seems to respect that.

Worth a try, would be interested to know how you get on.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby JustSomeGeek » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:22 pm

I don't know if it's any help, but when i want to use google.de in the UK it always comes up in English (really annoying), but underneath the search box is a small link to change it to German.

I'd guess that the opposite might also apply and show an option to view a US/UK Google in English when abroad?
JustSomeGeek

Return to Help!