Hello and erm perhaps a help request

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Hello and erm perhaps a help request

Postby Cossack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi all
I've been something of an avid reader now for a few months so first of all I just want to say, "Hi and thank you for bringing out the happy little nerd in me which I'd forgotten that I was."

I used to be mad into computing as a kid working with ZX81's, Commodore 64's etc before moving on to the MSX and the Amiga. I dabbled with programming until I found the PC and Windows polluted my brain.

I've now reverted and have been using Linux more and more over the past few months though I still have Windows simply for gaming. It's about time they brought out software so that I can play WoW on Linux....

Anyhoo I've been reading through LF159 again and now I finally have some time spare I'm trying to get e-uae operational so that I can play some of the old Amiga games but one problem I'm facing is where to download the workbench from so I wondered if anyone could help at all? So far the places I've found aren't proving to be reliable.

Thanks to anyone/everyone who has tried to read through this small novel and thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction.
Cossack

Postby dhester » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Workbench and the kickstrat roms are available from a number of sources. I can't give links but try using the words amiga workbench download.

Or you can purchase amigaforever which is a legal way of getting the roms and workbench (various different versions). The basic version is 9.99 euros or the pro version is 29.99 euros.
dhester

Postby nelz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Amiga ROMs are copyrighted and not freely distributable, any links you get will be to pirated software.

As dhester says, buy Amiga Forever, you get legal copies of the ROMs and OS and good support.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Cossack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:26 pm

I think for the sake of £7 or £8 the Amiga Forever version is probably best. Thanks for the pointers, initially I'd only seen the £29 pro version which seemed a bit steep, at least for what I wanted it for

* quick update * the value edition is for Windows only
Last edited by Cossack on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cossack

Postby reklan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:17 pm

WoW can run excellently on linux..

all you really need is to install wine from your distro's software manager, and install WoW.. there are plenty of articles that help you..

this is probably the best

http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraf ... ty_on_Wine
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby Cossack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:55 am

that's grand thanks, I'd been told it wouldn't work so I hadn't looked into it. Lesson learned.
Cossack

Return to Help!