rsyslog vs syslog

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

rsyslog vs syslog

Postby kord » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:39 am

The latest issue has an article about 'rsyslog'. There is mention of the previous 'syslog' and 'syslog-ng' for distributing system info to the logfiles in /var, with an example of the config file for syslog.

No mention in the article but is it much more comprehensive or fine structured so the config for rsyslog allows for _definite_ warning levels to go to specific logfiles without duplication?

Never mind all the spare disk space, I hate to find the same huge pile of boot-up info from the 'dmesg' file, including almost 400 lines about the 'pnp/pci reserved memory', appearing in 'messages' 'syslog' and 'user' along with other entries they share.

Now, if I could replace syslog to stop all that :D
kord

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:18 am

Use pipes in good'ol' Unix fashion to filter out unwanted portions of the file. And redirect it then to a suitable file for you to open in your fav. editor/textreader :) Forget the GUI, it's not even there if you seriously bork your system. Learn the cli, it's way more powerful then you'd think ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby kord » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am

emm, where would a GUI be involved in this?

To see the logs I 'su' in a terminal and use Midnight Commander then hopefully remove the dupe guff before logrotate does a gzip.

And if the 'pipes' suggestion is only relevant to syslog, do I take it that's a post-log thing meaning the dupe info still is spread by syslog and the pipes help filter for reading?
kord

Return to Help!